Westland Wyvern – 1/48 Classic Airframes - FINISHED!

Started by Eric Berg · 112 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Love those reinforcements, my friend @eb801!
    They will sure provide the necessary solid joint you opt for!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Eric @eb801 - thanks for sharing the info on the lights. Now, regarding the things marked "E"

Also wondering what those circular covers marked E are for?
    According to the text in the drawing they are cameras.
    Thank you for sharing this build - limited edition challenges in a very interesting plane. Love it!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 1 month ago:

LATEST PROGRESS
    It's been about 15 years since I last tackled a Classic Airframes model and I have to say, I have yet to pull my hair out or experience a strong desire throw this Wyvern against the wall in total frustration like I remembered feeling about their other kits. This build is actually going relatively smoothly so far, much to my surprise.

I installed the resin cockpit tub and gunsight platform from below prior to attaching the bottom wing/wheel well assembly. Lots of sanding and test fitting required here. Also tackled the air intake openings which took a fair amount of carving and filler and even more test fitting. Next I will attach the windscreen as protection so I don't knock off the gunsight which I have already come close to doing several times.

• Profile Photo

It's really great to see a CA kit shaping to a nice model.
    You are doing a splendid job there, my friend @eb801!
    About the circular filter, my usual approach is: "if you cannot see it, I will not build it...".
    I love the off-mainstream (whatever that means...) looks of the Wyvern.
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

You're right. After all that fuss making the filter fit, I should have just eliminated it. I will follow your motto from now on. “if you cannot see it, I will not build it…”.
    Onwards!

• Profile Photo

WINGS ATTACHED
    Finally got the wings attached. Lots of sanding, test fitting and filler plus patience required in this part of the build. The secret is to line up and glue the leading edge first, let everything dry and then work your way back to the trailing edge gluing as you go in increments. Once everything dries, I'll be using a lot more Mr. Surfacer to fill the gaps along the wing root. i suppose this is where liquid styrene could come in handy.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 1 month ago:

You're definitely living up to your usual standards with this, @eb801

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Great progress. If you feel like it, I'd say the use of LqS will make the shaping easier, but it may take quite some time to cure fully.

• Profile Photo

Tom & Erik - yes ,making some serious progress today. Thanks for dropping by.

Wings are now fully attached top and bottom and so are the stabilizers, angled at 10 degrees. Filled all the gaps with more Mr. Surfacer 500 and letting it dry now, so I can add another layer tomorrow. And then a fair amount of sanding and cleanup ahead.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Looks menacing already Eric. Your work is very comprehensive so far, this will be a splendid model for sure

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Moving right along Eric. Looking at your exhausts, I recall it was a right pain in the keester to mask off the Sky and then paint the grey.

• Profile Photo

Pedro - I'm testing out that Mr. Primer Surfacer on this kit. Airbrushes right out of the bottle and reminds me of a heavier Alclad II primer or Mr. Surfacer thinned way down. Flows really nicely and dries evenly. Let's see how it holds up to masking.

• Profile Photo

George - I'm not going to attach the resin exhausts pipes until after all the painting is done. Are they molded in place on the Trumpeter kit?

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Just masking around the exhaust housing was awkward

And it was only after I was done that I was looking over some photos and noticed that the grey ran through the housing

• Profile Photo

Ah, those glorious old school limited runs, my friend @eb801!

Fit? Fit? We need no fit!

But, if I am allowed to say, I love those moments that "challenging" kits are put together and come along.

Yes, liquefied styrene might have come handy at those gaps, filling and strengthening the joints at the same time. I usually go with it at nasty gaps and, after sanding, continue with my preferred putty.

You are doing an amazing job there.