1/48 Trumpeter Sea Hornet NF.21 FINISHED!

Started by Eric Berg · 115 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Spiros and TC - Thanks for watching this piece of junk come together. I'm actually having a good time with it because I'm not trying to create a museum piece. It really is an endless set of corrections most of which are a total pain. I am not even going bother fixing the canopy.

• Profile Photo

As I journey through this never ending parade of hornet corrections, I just discovered the 3 belly identification lights are missing, so out came the drill bit and a few pieces of clear sytrene glued in place. The blue tape is holding the radar operator’s entry hatch in place until its glue sets.

• Profile Photo

Door is now shut and belly ID lights sanded and ready for paint! However some Hornets had a landing light on the bottom of the port folding wing. Once I can verify the position I guess I'll have to drill a hole for that too!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Eric, you just keep popping up these corrections and make this a very interesting build, and I can only echo TC's words. Well done, I love the attention to detail!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Adding and correcting has resulted in a most attractive in-progress model, so far, Eric @eb801!
    All this extra work in fact creates a "museum piece"!

• Profile Photo

I decided to forego the landing light on the bottom port wing. I came to the conclusion the Sea Hornet eliminated the light due to the proximity of the wing fold mechanisms. It's off to the paint shop at last. Here's the primer coat using Alclad II.

• Profile Photo

While the primer dried, I painted the wheels using the highly accurate Barracudacast treaded tires as that's what all production Hornets used.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 3 years, 5 months ago:

You know, this picture here says a lot. If the only thing anyone did building this kit was to fill in the control surfaces it sure makes a world of difference! It actually took be a bit of looking back and forth to see what is wrong with the canopy. For ease of assembly over the Classic Airframes kit, I think I can live with it. The Barracudacast wheels look great! What are the fins for on the inside of the wheel? Are they right and left handed?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Josh - Not exactly sure what you mean by the "fins on the inside of the wheel". I don't know either. But I'm guessing they are designed to cool down the disc brakes.

I, too, decided I could live with the canopy "as is". I wish Barracudacast or Rob-Taurus would make a corrected replacement.

I have to say I enjoyed building the Classic Airframes' Hornet kit - it's one of there better efforts.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

As usual a coat of primer marks a new phase in a build - very nice work to get there Eric.
    My guess would be that the "fans" to cool the brakes are handed, at least that would make sense to me. We did have a similar arrangement on a Citation in Greenland, but that was as a means to get the wheel spinning to minimise the impact spreading gravel upon landing (Yep, it was called a gravel kit), but for this one I think it will be for drawing air out from the center.

• Profile Photo

Erik- thanks for shedding some light on the use of those wheel fins.
    Learn something new every day.

• Profile Photo

A nice progress, Eric @eb801!
    Those Barracuda wheels are absolutely marvellous, and I also agree that the blades we see are most likely cooling aids.

• Profile Photo

Paint Shop:

The first thing to get sprayed were the props. They all had three faint lines of stencil lettering on each prop. That's Taimya XF24 standing in for Extra Dark Sea Grey on the hubs.

• Profile Photo

Then some preshading...

...followed by RAF Sky. A little touch up and the bottom half will be done.

And just for yucks, here's what the Hornet looks like flipped over at this stage:

• Profile Photo

Looks great, Eric @eb801!
    The props are spotless!