1/48 Trumpeter Sea Hornet NF.21 FINISHED!

Started by Eric Berg · 115 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks Tom. I know exactly what you mean about the "still-glaring" manufacturer-induced screw ups.
    If only Trumpeter had followed their own box art they might have got it right. It would have been nice to include the under wing goodies as they depicted along with correct everything else. But until some one else comes out with a proper new tool, this will have to do.

• Profile Photo

FINISHED AT LAST!
    I'm done. Finally. I quit. I'm calling it a day.

I strung the antenna with E-Z line and glued the folding wings into place as I watched them wiggle with the slightest move of the model. There's only so much one can do to this Hornet but it looks good enough to me. I guess I'll just have to wait until some other kit manufacturer rises to the challenge and comes out with a new tool accurate sea hornet in 1/48th scale.

Thanks to Erik Gjørup for getting the De Havilland group going and inspiring me to build a kit that I had no intention of ever tackling. It was really fun. A shout out to TC, Spiros, John B, Andrew H and others who followed along. In a few days I will post some official photos and a headline article.

Here's an additional pix of a F.20 by Classic Airframes that I built at least 15 years ago next to the Trumpeter NF.21.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hey Eric, I’m afraid that only now did I spot this WIP (that big Finished is like neon to me), so excuse me if I’m echoing what others may have written down along this thread, but you picked a kit that barely resemble the true forms of the Sea Hornet and turned it into a splendid model. I know that I would only do all those corrections you made if someone paid me to ehehe. Great work! Thumbs up

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Eric (@eb801), first and foremost congratulations on a job well done! It has been a pleasure and a privilege to follow your perseverence and ending up with this result. Well done! I am quite honoured to read your remarks on why/how you got around to tackle this build and happy to have been part of the inspiration for you to get this started in the first place.

Thank you for sharing your build!

• Profile Photo

Pedro and Erik: Thanks for your positive remarks. Have a Merry Christmas!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Eric @eb801, I am really amazed by your skills and perseverence, in order to turn that full of issues kit into a real gem. I had the utmost pleasure to follow your build from the start. I loved the way you tackled all kits issues, in order to achieve this great result. It definitely looks like a very well done Sea Hornet now!

• Profile Photo

Thank you very much Spiros. Happy Christmas to you and your family!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 4 months ago:

@eb801 - that is an Amazing. Model. Coming from where it did, it's mind-boggling.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Well done Eric !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Tom and Alan.

TC: you’re right about these folded wings. Already had to go back in and add more super glue to stabilize them. The attachment points are too tiny. Another Trumpeter oversight.