1/48 Trumpeter Sea Hornet NF.21 FINISHED!

Started by Eric Berg · 115 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 5 months ago:

@eb801 - You have really gotten a "save" out of this boxful of scrap plastic! Amazing work!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Great to get to the painting stages of this challenging build. Well done so far - I am looking forward to the rest of the journey!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks everybody for the encouragement! It’s holiday shelter in place time so let’s see if I make any progress over the next week.

• Profile Photo

DISASTER STRIKES!

Don't you hate it when this happens? The paint pulled up with the tape. Damn. Back to the repair shop and more delays.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 5 months ago:

Pity about the mishap, Eric @eb801!
    But nothing that a good resanding and repairing cannot fix. Just a slight delay!

• Profile Photo

And even after all the preparations with primer - terrible thing when that happens, but they do now and then. Fingers crossed for an easy repair Eric.

• Profile Photo

Back in Action!
    I managed to save the paint job. For some reason the primer (Alcad II) pulled up here and there which almost made me pull my own hair out. I think from now on I will use acrylic based primer instead of lacquer. Seems to work better. Now I just have to touch up the Hornet paint and clear coat it with Future. Decals are right around the corner. Moving forward again at last!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 5 months ago:

You’ve performed a miracle on this one. Looking good!

• Profile Photo

Thanks John. Let's see what happens next.

• Profile Photo

moving again - and what a move. Nice save Eric (@eb801).

• Profile Photo

thanks Erik. Let's hope the Trumpy decals work!

• Profile Photo

I love the remedial action! No signs of previous mishap.
    Looking great, back on track, Eric @eb801!

• Profile Photo

I may be back on track but I ran into another delay. Not enough decals in my dungeon to complete the squadron markings for this particular plane so I have to wait until a new sheet arrives by post middle of next week before proceeding. However a couple of decal markings I will have to print myself but fortunately they are black serial numbers. Everything else is ready to install. Meanwhile I just started a GWH Devastator build and I have been working on the sly on a Tamiya '66 VW bug so I have plenty else to do. Oh yeah, the Trumpeter decals seem to work just fine so far.

I forgot to mention that you will notice some indentations on the tail controls. Although Hornets were skinned with aluminum and not fabric, you could still make out subtle rib indentations on the real thing.

• Profile Photo

Very nice Eric (@eb810). Your notes on the skin is spot on - even some fast-movers do that now and then. It is just such a nice touch to your build!

• Profile Photo

So nicely coming along, and all these small delays increase our anticipation, Eric @eb801!