1/48 Trumpeter Sea Hornet NF.21 FINISHED!

Started by Eric Berg · 115 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Marching forward slowly. Finally got some RAF letters and numbers added. Now I have to print my own decal markings that read "Royal Navy VX250" as well as the 809 Naval Air Squadron crest. This model will represent Sea Hornet NF Mk21 that served on the HMS Indomitable, 1952.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Slow but steady progress, Eric @eb801.
    Great looks!

• Profile Photo

Slow is the word Spiros. Meanwhile I haven't printed my own decals in several years so i hope my stash of decal printing paper and liquid decal film hasn't gone south on me or this means another delay.

With the holidays here and a second Covid lockdown just days away here in CA it's just wacky trying to get everything done much less time for modeling without feeling "guilty" if you know what I mean. Hope all is well in Greece.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looking good with the first marks on Eric (@eb801). Fingers crossed that the paper and film will behave!

• Profile Photo

Back in business after printing my own decals to get the correct Royal Navy VX250 markings which are unavailable elsewhere far as i can tell. I ran out of decal paper so it will be a few days before I can print the squadron crest that was painted on the nose.

Moving forward, the folding wings are completed and ready to install. Note the tube formation lights I made on the rear of the wing tip. Needs a touch of white glue for a lens. Next up is some slight weathering on the main fuselage and wings and then a final clear coat. Won't be long before this Hornet will be standing on it's legs.Getting close to the finish line at last.

• Profile Photo

Looking really "attended to detail", Eric.
    This Sea Hornet looks amazing already.
    What a departure from the kit standard!
    Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo

Very nice homemade decals Eric (@eb801). Looking forward to the new supply of paper arriving and the squadron crest being added 🙂

• Profile Photo

DECALS

I finally got some laser decal paper as I needed to make a unit crest for 809 NAS and a fuselage decal that reads "Royal Navy VX250". The latter wasn't a problem, but without sophisticated decal printer or a plotter, even the local copy place using their best printer could only do much as this crest image is only 6mm high. When it comes DIY tiny decals, I've noticed that the color sometimes runs together on decal paper making it noticeably blurry as the ink settles down. Oh well. You can still read "609" with a magnifying glass. The RAF numbers came from a Berna Decals sheet. First time I've ever used them. Nicely printed but they don't stick very well and pull up easily even after a couple of days drying time. But they stayed put after I sprayed the Hornet with a couple of thin coats of Alclad2 Klear Kote Semi-matte.

Now it's time to slap some legs on this baby and finish up!

• Profile Photo

Eric (@eb801), the icing sure makes the cake look good! Enjoy the leg slapping. . .

• Profile Photo

The Crest looks OK, Eric @eb801.
    Great you can move along.
    Waiting for the landing gear!

• Profile Photo

GEAR DOWN!

Here you go Spiros! The landing gear is down, or in this case, up! Now I got to run off to the tire shop.

A note about the flaps: extra care must be used when removing them from the Trumpy's novel sprue attachment points. One must be cautious about not accidentally cutting off the flap hinges.

• Profile Photo

Wheels on! Back from the BarracudaCast tire shop.

• Profile Photo

reminds me of the challenges I had when I flew a Caravan on amphibous floats - you had to make sure the Gear was UP for landing on water. . .
    Eric, I will not ask how you know about those flaps. . .

• Profile Photo

Ahhh - you just beat my post by a split second - but those are some nice wheels Eric (@eb801). You really are making this kit a real gem in spite of all the troubles it has presented.

• Profile Photo

Love it Eric!
    Unmistakable Sea Hornet, so far departed from the original kit!