1/48 Trumpeter Sea Hornet NF.21 FINISHED!

Started by Eric Berg · 115 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 4 months ago:

If you want to solve the problem of the letters of the serial on the one outer wing, slice them with a #11 blade, then flood them with decal setting solution. It works every time.

I gotta say, you have amazed me with this excellent model out of that awful kit.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Now it's time to install the dampers used to cover the exhausts on the NF Mk 21. Awhile back, Tom Cleaver mentioned that the only thing Trumpeter got right with this Hornet Mk 21 kit is the box art . I agree as it does seem fairly accurate when compared to the actual product inside. Let's take a closeup look at those dampers as they appear on this box cover:

Now check out what the actual kit part looks like installed:

And last, a photo of the real thing:

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Yep, those dampers look adequately accurate and have a nicely busy posture, Eric @eb801!

• Profile Photo

These dampers are barely passable in my opinion. I noticed that Special Hobby got it right with their 1/72 Mk 21.

• Profile Photo

Most Mk 21's had several whip antennas installed. Three on the bottom and one topside and others, including this particular plane, had an aerial lead from the fin to the rear of the canopy. I'm in the process of installing these now.

I also discovered, after the fact, that those three ID lights on the bottom rear of the fuselage were not tri-colored as other modelers have called out for, but actually clear. So out came the Windex and a Q-Tip and the problem was solved. Onward to the finish line. I can see it now.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Some fine details Eric. In my P-51 build Andrew H actually pointed out that the lights on my kite should also be clear - it was the bulbs that were coloured. Makes perfect sence to me to leave the glass clear with that in mind. (I had painted mine from the inside and assembled the thing before I found out, so I left mine as they were)

Anyway - these antennas look very scalelike. Nice addition (@eb801). The flag is indeed in sight!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Erik. We all learn something every day don't we? Speaking of antennas, Mk 21's also had radio altimeter "T" antennas under each wing on the outboard side of each nacelle, so I made a couple of those. Those whip antennas have now been cut down to size.

Now all that's left to do is add the aerial cable and the props and glue on these folded wings and keep my fingers crossed that they don't snap off. This is the kit's achilles heel.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I'm not sure about the when's or what's (which planes had what kind of Id lights when), but on most US craft (such as P-51) the bulbs were all the same, however the lens that covered the bulbs were colored. David's tip seen here is pretty spot on. The lens were flat (streamlined to fuselage).
    Recognition Lights

Again, I don't know if this same bulb/lens combo applies to your NF.21, so I digress. Your Hornet is looking brilliant so far, considering the handy work. Looking forward to the reveal, Eric.

• Profile Photo

It makes sense to me, Andrew, that they would use colored bulbs. However i get the impression that the Hornet recognition lights were clear. When I make my own lights, especially wing tip lights from clear stock, I drill a tiny hole on the wing side of the light where a bulb would go, and back fill it with clear acrylic red or green using a tooth pick and wiping it flush. Looks just like a bulb to me. That's what I did on this Hornet as the kit lights weren't the greatest. Thanks for cluing me to David's link too.

• Profile Photo

Onto the finishing touches, Eric @eb801.
    All those small details make a ton of a difference.

• Profile Photo

Eric (@eb801), I'm sitting here biting my nails. Fingers crossed for the folded wings staying put.
    And a big thank you to Andrew H (@pb_legend) for info on these lights and the link - great info.

• Profile Photo

The flag is right in front of my face now. The wings are on and the cable strung. Now all I have to go is stick the props on and do some touch up and I can finally call it a day for this very irritating kit that turned out to be a surprisingly enjoyable build despite Trumpeter's mistakes.

• Profile Photo

Almost done; looking fantastic already!

• Profile Photo

Eric (eb801), happy that you enjoyed it in the end - I have been having a great time following along on this build. Thank you for getting it done to such high standards!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 4 months ago:

@eb801 - you did this so well it even makes me not pay attention to the still-glaring manufacturer-induce screwups. It really looks good.