A tale of two Mosquito's. One a De-Havilland plane, the other a Moskito, the not so famous cousin.

Started by Louis Gardner · 111 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 1 month ago:

John H., @j-healy
    Thanks for the compliments on the Moskito. I am very pleased with how it has turned out... and just think about it. I grabbed this box from the stash, and just started building on the spur of the moment. It has been a lot of fun too !

Since I typically try to paint the same color on various models (or similar parts) at the same time, that's the only reason why I have not been doing any work on this one. I have a deadline to get the big Heinkel done.

The 1/32 scale Revell He-219 is a monster of a plane... it dwarfs anything I have built lately, and it too has been a lot of fun. The fit has also been spectacular.

I wanted to give you a little heads up notice, there will be a new group build that will start on May 1st. It will cover anything from May 1st, 1910 on to today's current Luftwaffe machines, aircraft and equipment. I hope to see you join us... 🙂

I have several more big 1/32 scale Revell kits... that will be perfect for the upcoming group. How about a 1/32 He-111 or Junkers 88 ?

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 3 years, 1 month ago:

@lgardner I am finalizing my watchtower now but do have some ideas for a Luftwaffe contribution!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

That would be the greatest of news: cannot imagine of Louis's Luftwaffe GB launch, without a @michel-verschuere contribution!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Last night I was painting RLM 02 color on the big 1/32 scale Revell Heinkel 219 "Uhu". Since I had the color loaded in the air brush, I decided to spend a little "quality time" with this build. So I sprayed the landing gear and wheel wells.

This is what the Moskito looks like now.

I hadn't realized this much time has passed since my last update. Wow.. Where did the time go ?

Anyhow, here are a few pictures showing the latest updates. I hope to finish this one up soon. It's almost done now.
    Thanks for stopping by, and as always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 3 months ago:

@lgardner
    Looking good, Louis! Time indeed flies fast my friend, and it’s not only for model projects unfortunately.
    The Ta154 big mottle is quite impressive, and judging by the looks that one isn’t far from completion, isn’t it so? Keep it up

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Splendid result so far, my friend @lgardner! Indeed, where did the time go? Looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great paintwork, Louis @lgardner.

• Profile Photo

Pedro, @holzhamer
    Spiros, @fiveten
    John, @johnb

Thank you for the kind words, and now I have a new surprise for everyone...

I have not been happy with the way the large mottles have looked since the day I sprayed them on. So I decided to do this over, using a new method. The first time around I took a pencil and lightly drew the shapes of the mottles on the surface, then I came back later and sprayed the pattern on.

This time I have a different approach. I sprayed the entire top side again, using Model Master RLM 75.

Now I will come back, using modelling clay and press on little blobs of clay, to use as masking. I will shape the clay into a pattern that closely resembles what was done on the real Ta-154 Moskito.

Once the clay has been placed on the upper surfaces, I will spray on another coat of RLM 76. Once the paint dries, I will remove the clay, and this time (hopefully) I will be pleased with the end results.

Meanwhile, I painted the propellers using RLM 70.

Since I had the color loaded in the air brush, I sprayed the props for two more upcoming Luftwaffe builds. These are the extra propellers.

Any ideas about what they fit ?
    Here's what the "Moskito" looks like at this moment.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 3 months ago:

@lgardner

I can see those extra WIP propellers getting some attention Louis 😉 is that a sign of things to come soon? I sure would like it my friend

Speaking frankly, I really liked the mottle you had on the Ta 154, but it’s your model so it’s you that have to be content or not. The reverse approach to paint it you are doing soon is a neat trick, though I prefer the free hand spraying.
    Looking forward to see how it turns out 😉

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 3 months ago:

@lgardner - nice to see you’re back on the Moskito. I also thought your previous mottles looked pretty good, so now you have to “wow” us with your all new upgraded version. I’ll be watching!

• Profile Photo

Pedro, @holzhamer
    Yes your keen eyes have picked out some "new" Luftwaffe projects that will soon be a part of our ever growing LW group build. One set of propellers I sprayed last night is for our mutual 1/48 scale ICM Dornier 17Z build.

I was not happy at all with the paint overspray that was visible on and around some of the mottles. In other places, you could see some of the pencil lines that were slightly visible, where I had drawn out the mottling outlines, to get the shapes as close as I possibly could.

Now I will be using the same pictures as before to capture the shapes of each individual mottle mark. Hopefully this time I will not have any problems with over spray, and the pencil lines will be a thing of the past.

Hello Eric, @eb801
    Thanks for stopping by. I want to get this one completed, so I can clear off some space and build a few new projects that I have made plans for. I have several kits that are very close to completion, with this one being one of them. My goal is to complete a few models before I start working on some new ones. The idea with the "new and improved" mottling came to me when I was working on something else... now I hope it works as expected.

I hope I don't let anyone down. Please stay tuned, and thanks for stopping by..

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Looking forward to this different approach of mottling, Louis @lgardner.
    The previous looks however were not that bad to my opinion.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

The enemy of ”good” is ”better”, my friend @lgardner! In your case the enemy of excellent (as it was the already made mottling) is the supreme! Like @holzhamer and @eb801, I too believe your previous result was fantastic. Had I been you, I might have left it "as is". However, I won't lie that I just love your approach in improving everything as best as you can: your results speak for themselves! I really look forward to see your new approach and results!

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great unusual build!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 3 months ago:

@lgardner - I just went back and re-read my review of this kit at M2 (done so long ago the pix were scanned from film prints). I remembered it as being pretty bad, but I forgot how bad till I re-read the article. So take the fact you have this looking as good as it does, and it looks real good, as a triumph of talent and skill over plastic that wants desperately to be a doorstop. This is a really great result!