A tale of two Mosquito's. One a De-Havilland plane, the other a Moskito, the not so famous cousin.

Started by Louis Gardner · 111 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Nice save on the paint scheme @lgardner.

Here's a trick to save silvered decals: slice the decal with a sharp #11 blade, then flood the decal with decal solution. It will let the air out (it's air under the decal creating the silvering) and the decal will melt back down and you won't see a thing. Another thing to do is always apply more than one coat of decal setting solution when you're doing the initial laydown of the decal. There's no such thing as using too much setting solution! I have corrected Old Fumble Fingers too many times to count with these two tricks.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 8 months ago:

A truly wonderful result, my friend @lgardner!
    Congratulations!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Thanks, John (@johnb), but this isn't my plane. Louis built this great model.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Final victory, Louis (@lgardner). Everything looks great. I have this kit in my stash, but have waited to start it until I thought my painting skills had caught up to the demands of this kit. Nice job repainting the markings. I have sometimes had problems with the clear layer pulling up when I mask over it, and silvered decals are always a fear.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 8 months ago:

Congrats Louis @lgardner. You finally won the battle. Going back and redoing those mottles really fleshed your Moskito out. Too bad about the decals and the extra work you had to do. But you overcame all the obstacles and it truly looks terrific. You put a heck of a lot of effort into this and it really paid off so pat yourself on the back!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 8 months ago:

An amazing result, Louis @lgardner
    Your persistance finally gave victory and a beautiful aircraft.
    The painted markings do look great.
    Well done.