A tale of two Mosquito's. One a De-Havilland plane, the other a Moskito, the not so famous cousin.

Started by Louis Gardner · 111 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Hey there Louis - that Moskito is really looking superb. I missed some of your postings and had wondered if you took a break from this. Cockpit looks great. Looks like you have the correct stance on the gear. I think I built mine a little too level. Hope those cockpit photo references were useful.

You're inspiring me to build this kit a second time.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 1 month ago:

I think you managed to capture in perfection the “heavy” stance of the Ta.154 undercarriage Louis. Looking forward for that mottling 😉

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 1 month ago:

This was a great save for adding weight, my friend @lgardner!
    Yep, the Moskito is THE candidate model for tailsitting.
    You did a superb job there andit's my turn, after our Friends above to state that the Moskito sy=tance is superb, utterly realistic.
    Love the Mosquito wheels, too!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Erik, @airbum
    You shouldn't have too much longer and the glue will be hardening on the PRU Mosquito... I am almost ready to start spraying our good friend, RLM 76. You are correct Sir, One can never have too many 109's. Stay tuned for the Luftwaffe group to start up soon. I'm thinking on May 1st I will pull the trigger on it.

Hello again Eric, @eb801
    Yes the photos you sent me were perfect. Thanks a million ! I sincerely appreciate this.

Hey Pedro. @holzhamer
    The stance of this plane is one of the things that I really like about it. It looks like it’s ready to leap into the sky. I’ll be masking the canopy off probably tomorrow. Then it will get a nice complete coat of RLM 76. The mottling will be right behind that. I’ll most likely take a pencil and lightly draw the outline of each mottled splotch using the pictures I have to check for accuracy. Stay tuned. I think it’s going to get to the fun part now.

Spiros @fiveten
    Thanks for the compliments. This plane is so cool looking. It was definitely ahead of its time and had not the RAF knocked out the factory where the Tego film glue was manufactured, when they did, I have a feeling that this plane would have been right up there with the British Mosquito as far as the effectiveness. Look at how good the Heinkel He-219 performed... the Allies were fortunate that none of the advanced projects were built in numbers.

Stay tuned fellas. I have another update coming up next.

• Profile Photo

I had mentioned that I messed up the canopy. Here’s what happened and what I did to correct my mistake.
    Somehow I managed to get glue on both the outside of the canopy

And even more glue on the inside of the canopy.

I was in a hurry and we all know how that works out. I was using Tamiya thin glue and relying on the capillary action to draw the glue into the joints.

It did just that ! I also had the canopy off center a little, and the glue wicked it’s way against the inside of the canopy where the rear seat radar operator instrument cover is located.

Then topping it off, I managed to get a few drops of glue on the outside of the canopy.

I typically use Future clear acrylic to install the canopy but I was rushing things and thought I would be able to get it done faster if I simply used the Tamiya thin glue.

You see how that worked !

I ended up removing the canopy before the glue had permanently set up. I let it sit and dry overnight. Today I wet sanded both of the affected areas with 800 grit and then switched over to 1500 and finally 2000 grit wet or dry sandpaper.

Next step I used some Mequires plastic polish for automotive applications. The final step was to dunk the canopy in some Future clear acrylic and let it dry.

Once it’s dry I simply did what I should have done in the first place.

I used the clear acrylic as an adhesive to install the canopy parts. Here you can see how it looks now.

Lesson learned. Haste makes waste.

Tomorrow I will try to mask the canopy and then give it a total coat of RLM 76. Once it dries I will start marking out the camouflage splotches using the various pictures I have of V-7.

Good news is that it definitely sits on its legs well. I really like the stance it has now.

As always comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Great save, my friend @lgardner!
    Your Moskito looks amazing!
    Looking forward to your RLM76 application!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Nice save on the clear part!

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 3 years, 1 month ago:

@lgardner

Louis, I don’t know if other people also made that bloop with clear parts, but I had the same problem (perhaps not so large in the affected area) using liquid glue in those clear parts. I thought that by having the window panes masked there would be no chance of damaging them. This was the lesson I learned that day - Yep, liquid glue goes under the mask tissue alright!

Unlike my efforts, you successfully avoid disaster there, good work mate

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    Thanks for the compliments. Your wait is over, for I sprayed the RLM 76 last night. I'll post some pictures next.

Erik, @airbum
    Thanks buddy !

Pedro, @holzhamer
    I have made this mistake on a few planes, with one of them being a Tamiya Birdcage F4U several months ago. It was so bad that I had to make a new windscreen using the original as a pattern / mold. For some reason, the inside of the windscreen was not centered exactly and it caused the glue to wick under and into the inside of the windscreen. Here again I was in a hurry trying to rush things...
    You would think I would have learned by now... The upper portion of the fuselage that acts like a cover for the instrument panel was sitting against the inside of the windscreen. The glue was left in contact like this overnight, so it had a lot of time to melt into the clear plastic.

• Profile Photo

Last night I added all of the final remaining little parts on the Ta-154 Moskito. The canopy was masked off, and I sprayed on the initial coat of RLM 66 so it would look as if the inner frames were painted in the interior color. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of this. Instead I was busy painting numerous sets of wheels, using the same color. These are going to be used on some upcoming builds that I have planned.

After I had cleaned the air brush, it was time to spray on a coat of RLM 76. The entire airframe received a good coat using Model Master enamels. I started out by spraying the landing gear doors.

The rest of the airframe turned out looking magnificent in it's new coat of RLM 76.

I am running almost completely out of this color, so I will resort to either custom mixing some more using the basic colors that are still left in the product line, or I might start slowly switching over to either Mission Models Paint or MRP acrylic lacquers as needed. I picked up several bottles of RLM 76 paint in the MRP line from Sprue Brothers. They offered several variants of the color. I will need a lot of it, as my next project using this color is a Revell 1/32 scale He-219...

For now, this is how the Ta-154 looks.

Next steps will involve painting the landing gear and gear wells in RLM 02, followed by me taking some time to draw out the specific way the mottled splotches are located on the upper part of the exterior. I will be using the photos as a marking guide.

As always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo

Wow, this off-white, very light gray with a hint of blue-ness (and, maybe a very very subtle hint of green-ness?) is one of the finest "76"s I've ever seen, my friend @lgardner!
    Looks like it sprayed andself leveled like a dream as well!
    Loved the millions of wheels being prepped, too!

• Profile Photo

Spiros @fiveten
    Thank you Sir ! I appreciate this compliment. I just went back ad added some information about the wheels I have painted. I'm gearing up for some "Iron Werke" style building for our Korean War group.

My Dad had a childhood friend named Mike Rebo who flew F-84's in Korea. Sadly Mike was shot down and killed by a Russian pilot who was flying a MiG-15 that was wearing North Korean markings. Mike was listed as MIA for well over 60 years until just recently when his family submitted a DNA sample, confirming the remains that were handed over at the DMZ in Korea were his. These remains were recovered from the crash site.

Mike was finally repatriated home, sadly my Dad didn't live to see this. I want to build up a model of the F-84E he was shot down in. I have everything needed except for a picture of the plane. I have found numerous photos from his unit, but so far that particular plane has eluded me.

F-84E, serial number 51-549 from the 49th Fighter Bomber Group, 9th Fighter Bomber Squadron on 10 November, 1951 It was flown by 1st LT Michael Rebo.

He was attacked and shot down by a MiG-15 of the 176th GIAP that was flown by a Russian pilot named Pavel S. Milaushkin.

I have found decals of the actual MiG he was flying, and it was built earlier as part of the MiG group build. Here's a link to the MiG. Sadly Mike is represented as a small red star on the side of the cockpit of this MiG.

MiG Group Build : 1/48 Tamiya MiG-15 bis, Captain Pavel Milauszkin, 176 IAP / 324th IAD, Korea 1952.
    I would really like to have this tribute build completed by November 10th, so I can post it up in the headlines section. It will have happened exactly 70 years ago to the day.
  • Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Louis: your 154 is looking terrific. Ditto on Spiros’ paint comments. It’s a real shame Rustoleum discontinued the ModelMaster paint line. Looking forward to what you do with the camo pattern. Watch out for that antenna!

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Jeez, Louis. Nice save with that canopy!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 1 month ago:

Very smooth looking paintjob louis.