A tale of two Mosquito's. One a De-Havilland plane, the other a Moskito, the not so famous cousin.

Started by Louis Gardner · 111 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik GjΓΈrup said 2 years, 2 months ago:

That is a big decision @lgardner. Fingers crossed it turns out to your satisfaction!

Now that you have revealed the set of propellers are for the Do17, the last propeller is unmistakably 109. G-6 perhaps? Will there be a prize πŸ™‚ just kidding.

Looking forward to the new projects.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 2 months ago:

John, @johnb
    Thank you for the kind words about the previous paint work. It did look OK, but when you started looking at it much closer, it was not so nice. It had a lot of overspray on it, and in some places it was very bad.

Spiros, @fiveten
    That is a very good statement on the enemy of good is better ! I will have to remember that one. πŸ™‚
    I was tempted to leave it alone, but it was not good enough for me. I tried to clean up some of the spots, but I didn't have the exact same color of RLM 76 anymore. This made things look even worse, so I had no choice but to mask the mottles off and start over again. There were some pencil marks still visible as well, as they had not been completely covered by with 76 color sufficiently.

Lis, @lis
    Thank You !

Tom C. @tcinla
    I was actually very happy with how this kit went together. The only real trouble I remember was how the wings were not straight, and how I snapped the plastic "ala cave man style" using brute force. I decided against using the nose mounted radar "antlers" because this plane looks way too sleek without them. Once I found these pictures of the V7 test airframe, I knew what mine was going to look like.
    I sincerely thank you for the compliments. Stay tuned for another 1/48 scale Dragon Luftwaffe twin to show up soon.

Erik @airbum
    Yes it was a very big decision to repaint this one... In the end, I was not happy with how the mottles looked, because there were a lot of tiny paint specs on both colors. These specks were caused by paint overspray. This problem was not visible until you started looking closer at the model. At best I would consider the paint as a "three footer" because of this. Toss in the few areas where the pencil marks were still visible where I had previously drawn the mottles, and then how the touch up RLM 76 didn't match with the areas I tried to fix, and you can understand why it was done over again.

You have correctly identified the propellers, but there will be no prize πŸ˜‰ I was busy with painting some exhausts from various kits a few nights ago, maybe you will be just as good at recognizing which aircraft they came from too ? Most are Luftwaffe subjects, and they will be eventually make an appearance as a journal in our Luftwaffe group build.

Thank you gentlemen for following along so far. Please stand by for another update. This one could be the season finally for this German Moskito, as it is time to start on the Tamiya Mosquito now.

• Profile Photo

Here are the latest updates on the work I did on the Ta-154.

Starting with the book I have that shows the V7 test airframe,

I took the pictures and adjusted the exposure settings to make the mottled areas look darker. This made it much easier to see where the mottles should be placed. This is the adjusted photo of V7.

At first I started using regular modelling clay to make the mottle shapes. The red colored blobs are clay. I decided against using the clay any further because I was concerned there could be a reaction with the paint. So I stopped using the red clay, and continued on using the lighter colored material, which is actually used to secure posters on walls without causing damage.
    This is what I came up with.

Then it was time to spray the new RLM 76 color on top. I tried not to make it too heavy, so the edges of the mottles would look soft to replicate the looks in the pictures.

While I was spraying the 76, I painted the outside of the landing gear doors.

Then it was time to remove the blobs of clay to reveal the mottling. I think the edges of the mottles are actually too sharp. To me they look as if these could have been brush painted on in some places. I rate the new paint job as an 8 out of 10. Not perfect by any means, but it's better than it was before. No more pencil lines are visible, and there are no more small droplets of paint marring the colors either. Am I 100 percent happy with it ? No not really. But this time I will settle with how it looks.

Earlier on in the build, I had masked off the radio call letters "TE + FK" covering the places I had sprayed on some Flat Black. I didn't have enough decals in the spares to make up a set like this, so I had no choice but to go this route. All the while I was concerned that I might have to touch up the letters if some paint leaked under the home made letter masking. Fortunately it did not. πŸ™‚

The finish was looking very flat and lacked any shine to it. So I gave the model a few coats of Future / Pledge to make it ready for the decals. The canopy was also uncovered so it would get some clear gloss on it as well.

I took these next two pictures with the model sitting in a similar stance to how the real plane was in the pictures in my book. This picture replicates the one I darkened the exposure settings on.

This follow photo shows the side view as shown in the book. I am very happy with how the mottles look now.

The radio call letters are shown here on the underside of the wings. The decals were also applied.

The landing gear oleo struts were covered using "Ultra Bright Chrome" Bare metal foil.

The propeller were painted previously, and now it was time to install them. They are simply pressed in position and not glued. This worked out well and the props spin nicely.

The tires were also painted previously, so I dirtied them up with a Tamiya weathering deck. I cut the length of the axles a little, and spread the struts carefully so I could install the wheels. They roll very well... not that I will be flying missions in it or anything... well maybe one or two ! πŸ˜‰

The exhausts were ready for paint.

I always try to paint multiple items in one go when I have a color loaded in the air brush. This is my "Iron Werke" style exhaust farm prior to painting the parts.

and afterwards... Can you name them all ? πŸ˜‰ I'll give you a few hints. Most of these are from models I have currently underway. Some of these have not had any recent updates in a long time. There are some ICM 1/48 scale German twin engine aircraft here, and a pair of 1/32 scale Hasegawa and Revell parts shown here too. Then there are a few 1/48 scale single engine fighters... That you just might see in a future build journal for our Korean War group. πŸ˜‰ Then there are three new additions, also single engine fighters which you will see soon in the Luftwaffe group. This is a sneak peek of sorts. πŸ™‚

It was time to apply some exhaust stains. These are not present in the pictures in my book. I took some artistic license and applied these streaks using a Tamiya deck again.

I also added some streaks on the elevator top and bottom sides.

I decided not to apply all of the decals. The V7 airframe didn't look as if it has all of the stencils in the pictures I have seen of it. I might be mistaken so don't take this statement as confirmed truth.

The radio altimeter antennae's were painted and the exhausts were installed.

This is how the Moskito looks now. It's ready for it's first mission to the headlines section.

I sincerely thank all of you for following along on this build.

This journey is still not done, as I have to now build the 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito !

So please continue to follow along as we head down that trail.

As always, comments are encouraged. πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Congrats Louis @lgardner. You finished your Moskito at last. Looks really good with the new paint job. Very clean. You put a lot of work into this kit and it really shows. But in all honesty I preferred the softer mottling you did earlier regardless of the over spray. No offense intended. Glad you're back at the work bench once again. Looking forward to your next Mosquito.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Excellent work, Louis @lgardner.
    She definitely deserves a place on the headlines.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Congratulations, my friend @lgardner! What a fantastic result and what a great research behind it! This is a superb Moskito!
    Looking forward to see it reaching the headlines!

• Profile Photo

Eric, @eb801
    John, @johnb
    Spiros, @fiveten
    Pedro, @holzhamer

Thank you guys for the kind words. Please do not think I am offended by your thoughts on the way the mottles turned out. Your thoughts about the way they look are, (in all honesty), exactly the same as mine. Part of me wants to tempt fate, and make an attempt to spray a very light RLM 75 ring around some of the mottles that appear to have a hard edge to them.

I got lucky on some of the mottles, but not on most of them. In fact, the majority of them look as if they were brush painted on by hand, and this (at least to my eyes) doesn't look quite right... especially on a Luftwaffe bird. Remember, the enemy of good is better. πŸ˜‰

The clear flat coat hasn't been done yet either. I want to knock down the shine a little bit, and seal the decals in at the same time...

So I might have jumped the gun a little too fast by calling this one finished. Please stay tuned, and again I thank you for your honesty.

Sincerely I do. πŸ™‚

Take care my friends.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 2 months ago:

@lgardner

Louis, a personal opinion is just that. It’s your model and you do what you feel best with it. It’s a clichΓ© but it’s a downright truth.

Despite my biased preference for the freehand mottle, your build is a very solid one and it captures the looks and stance of the Ta-154 very well. It sure entices me to give a go at my own model, but too many others come first. I’ll bookmark this one as reference for build tips πŸ˜‰

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Hello again everyone.

Eric, @eb801
    John, @johnb
    Spiros, @fiveten
    Pedro, @holzhamer

I have made some good progress over the last few days with the Focke Wulf build.

Pedro, @holzhamer
    I went back and carefully sprayed the edges on the mottles to make them look more "soft" from how they were last done. I am very happy with the final outcome. Here are some pictures.
    Here I have finally completed the camouflage to the level I wanted it. The mottled edges are now softer, and not as distinct from the background RLM 76.

Next I sprayed the entire aircraft using "Future" or Pledge or whatever it's called now. This sealed the edges of the mottling, and gave the model a nice even luster. I will now come back with some flat clear, to knock down the shine a little. I will post the final Moskito pictures once it's done, hopefully tomorrow..

Here I was horsing around and made a "Mistel" using the Ta-154 in 1/48 scale as the parasite aircraft, and the 1/32 scale Revell He-219 as the ordnance section.

This last picture gives you an idea of just how big the Revel Uhu is !

Speaking of the big Uhu, I plan on completing it soon, so please stay tuned for updates on it too. πŸ™‚

As always comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @lgardner! Looking forward to your Uhu (and hope to restart mine!).

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 9 months ago:

@lgardner
    That mottling now looks much more like the real thing. Glad to see you picking up projects again πŸ˜‰ I’ve been away from the bench for a month or so and still have no mojo to resume stuff… summertime mood I guess

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 9 months ago:

A big improvement on the mottling, Louis @lgardner
    Not an easy task to achieve.
    Looking forward to see it finished.

• Profile Photo

Spiros, @fiveten
    Yes Sir !
    I too am looking forward to completing the big Uhu next. I have it, and then a pair of much smaller 1/48 scale Airfix P-40's left to finish. These are the models that I have on my bench that are almost completed, and with a little bit of work they all will be done. I too am looking forward to watching you work your magic on your Revell He-219. You always build nice looking models.

Pedro, @holzhamer
    Thank you for the compliments. Believe me my friend, it is SO nice to be back at the hobby table now and building things again. Who knows ? You might even see our Mutual Dornier 17's show up here again, and a few Mustangs too... πŸ˜‰

I hope that you will regain your model building "mojo" soon. I always enjoy reading your build journals, (and headline articles), and I look forward to hearing your comments here on Imodeler, especially when it comes to anything Luftwaffe related. Maybe, if I start posting more stuff on my current Luftwaffe builds, it just might help to restore your creative mood. I hope so. πŸ™‚
    The children are starting school again over here, so this means the Fall season will shortly be upon us, and then the Summertime will be in the rear view mirror.

John, @johnb
    Thank you very much for the kind words. I am very pleased with the outcome of the revised mottling work. It was a bit nerve wracking, and there were a few times I came very close to ruining things (again).

Tonight was another "close" call. Please follow along, as I explain what happened today.

Thanks everyone !

• Profile Photo

I masked off the clear parts this afternoon, and then sprayed the entire aircraft using my Flattened "Future" mixture. I wanted to knock down the overall shine. This is how it looked before the flattened clear was sprayed on. I removed the props too. They were simply pressed on. Now I'm SO glad I didn't glue them in place.

Here it is afterwards. Sharp eyed readers will notice the fuselage insignia crosses are now missing... Here's why:

Upon completing the flat clear coat, it immediately showed up that the fuselage "crosses" were silvered big time in the center. So I carefully took a razor and sliced away the silvered parts that were highly visible in the center of the fuselage crosses, as I have occasionally done in the past.

This time, as I was removing the silvered carrier film, a part of the actual insignia came up too.

Somehow, I was not surprised, as this model has fought me almost every step along the way when it came to the finish paint work. So I used masking tape to pull up what was left of these markings.

Next I had to make a pair of paint masks. Using two layers of tape, a new razor in my Exacto knife, and a small steel machinist ruler, I made a "homemade" set of spray masks for the fuselage insignia. The masks were applied to each side of the fuselage. Thankfully, the simplified version of the cross insignia was used here on the real plane.

I mixed up some "Flat White", and lightly sprayed it on both sides.

Once I pulled the tape off, this is how it looked. All of the fuselage markings and code letters have now been sprayed on.

While spraying the white paint, I somehow managed to accidentally knock off one of the radio altimeter antennae that was mounted under the wing. In a few seconds, I had it glued back on. No harm, no foul. This thing has fought me to the very end, as far as painting goes.

Now I can officially declare it done. Victory is mine ! Now as long as I don't drop it. or something else happens, this one is finally completed. Here is how it looks now.

I want to thank you all for following along with this build. This is really a cool looking plane, and I'm glad I chose to build the V7 machine that didn't have the "Antler" radar antennae's installed on it.

Look for it to show up in the headlines section soon.

Take care, and as always, comments are encouraged.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 1 year, 9 months ago:

Hi Louis @lgardner, it looks great, more than worthy of being in Headlines.