Cimber Air DH104 Dove, Amodel, 1/72

Started by Erik Gjørup · 70 · 2 years ago · 1/72, airbum, cimber air, de Havilland, DH100GB, Dove, Haldværk, Stauning
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Gardens never tend to rest, Erik @airbum
    Been reading back this thread and although it is slowly progressing, you are making great steps.
    Looking forward to the challenging filling steps.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 7 months ago:

@airbum - that's right, gardens never tend to rest especially when one's wife has a huge dahlia thing going like we do in our yard. Debuding every day, digging holes and oh yes, spraying the plants which takes several hours that somehow all became my task despite the serious drought we have here in California. Dahlias suck water like sponges but what can I say?

Meanwhile...back at the bench...

Those seats were worth the wait Erik and look terrific. Shame about those windows but what can you do? Nothing. I guess you could make new ones but that sounds like total agony. I notice you use one of those "small shop" PE bending jigs. Those things really are helpful aren't they?

Nice to see you making progress on this what looks like a difficult project!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Whoopsie – my bad! I forgot to post the last update some 3 months ago! @fiveten, the LqS will have to come into action again later. Thanks @johnb, and so do I. @eb801 As noted earlier I did think about making new windows, and I will do so next time I have a Dove on the bench. Now, some progress made today, but first I have to bring you up to speed on last years finished items,

Interior, undercarriage and engines

I did more or less get the interior finished

With the news that WhirlyBirds will be closing, I am happy that I got the seats. One of the steering columns were missing, so a new one were fabricated from sprue.

Seats lined up and ready

Frontwheel in place (and dry by now), windows installed

And engine attached to the wing.

next up will be a minor testfit

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

A great progress, my friend @airbum! So far all look superb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nicely done, Erik @airbum.
    Those seats do look amazing, can imagine that you are happy to have them before WhirlyBirds gets closed.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Erik@airbum: Those seats turned out great! Are you going to add seat belts? Did they use on passenger seats back then? You’ll eventually reach the finish line with this Dove. You’re getting closer and closer.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Thanks @fiveten and @johnb. Actually I did think a bit if the weight of these seats were going to be a problem. After all they are nearly all behind the main undercarriage, and they do feel a bit heavy. @eb801, sorry, no seatbelts this time - they did use them, but with the quality of the windows they will barely be noticeable.

Tailheavy!

well, a testfit showed it to be more than just moderate tailheavy

First off, a testfit of the major parts to check the need for lead.

As expected just about every possible space had to be used.

I cut lengths of flat lead to build up plates everywhere in the nose.

It would have been a lot better to have cast a weight that fitted, but for now this is my preferred method. (I will have to get started melting the stuff)

next up – well, it is set aside again to cure – I have glued the nose only, the rest to be testfitted and adjusted and so forth later on

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Looks like that this amount of weight should be sufficient, Erik @airbum.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nice steps, my friend @airbum, great that you solved the tail-sit problem.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Good to see some progress Erik, cast lead will fill all available space although sometimes a difficult process as it would seem to be here, coming along nicely.