Hobbycraft 1/48 DHC U-1A, 18th Aviation Company, Vung Tau, Vietnam, July 1963

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 94 · 2 years ago · 1/48, de Havilland Aircraft Company 100 years, de Havilland Canada, DHC-3, Otter, U-1A, Vietnam
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Thanks Eric @eb801. Easy fix, better looks!

• Profile Photo

Fuselage smoothsanded

Green stuff did its usual magic, filling all minor nooks and micropits.
    Onto the wings attachment!

• Profile Photo
    Jordyn Collier said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Ying and yang, very important! Nice progress on the otter!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Coming along! I just realized I don't have one of these in my stash... may have to rectify that!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @1corsair64 and @gkittinger!
    Greg, this is a lovely plane, go and get one!

• Profile Photo

Wings attached

I attached the main wings with their supporting struts. Fit of the wings to the fuselage was good, fit of the supporting struts so so. I also glued the rear wings. I took my time here aligning as best as I could (the back part of the fuselage was challenging, as it was quite "off"). I let the plane rest on my improvised jig.
    Her it is, glue drying:

Cheers!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Keep it straight and level my friend!
    Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Isn't amazing how useful paint jars etc and that alligator clip stand are for keeping things in place as the glue sets. Looking good Spiros!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friends @airbum and @eb801!
    Nice'n'straight drying now...

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Hobby craft has always followed the road less traveled with a Canadian theme. I see Otters that have been rebuilt and up graded with turbo props at my local airport. It 's good to see a classic take center stage Spiros. A lot of them are mounted on floats.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Stephen @Stephen-W-Towle! Yep, Hobbycraft produced many Canadian theme kits and I am glad they did! I love Hobbycraft kits, despite some criticisms that have been addressed to them. I think hobbycraft issued the float version, too.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Coming along Spiros, I hope you don't have those wings a little too straight and level, the 1/72 kit has floats !

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Do I see a slight diherdral, Allan @kalamazoo?
    The 1/48 has only skis!

• Profile Photo

And indeed I did!

By carefully studying (to change the habits of a lifetime...) 3-view drawings, I realized that there is a very slight dihedral, maybe not more than 1-2 degrees.:

But it's there! And it is noticeable in Otter pics, if you look close enough:

I had my wings set at zero dihedral, so I bravely detached the supporting struts, "loosened" the wing to fuselage bond by applying liquid cement, reset the wings at a slight dihedral, reglue the struts at their correct position, and place the Otter on one of my improvised "jigs" for a two step angle setting process...

Now all is drying, hopefully to a more correct dihedral. Thanks Allan, @kalamazoo for the triggering!

The top wing fillets, underwing hinges and landing gear struts were beforehand glued in place:

Cheers, DH100GB!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looks like you nailed the correct dihedral Spiros. Great "save"!