Revell 1/32 Stuka

Started by Jay Mitchell · 99 · 2 years ago · 1/32, Luftwaffe, North Africa, Revell, Stuka
  • Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Hello...With encouragement from Spiros @fiveten , I thought I’d try to be a participant in this group build with this older kit. The copy write on the box is 1969 and there are no barcodes on the box and very little flash on the parts, so I think this is probably from 1969 or the early 70s. It was still shrink wrapped and the shrink wrap was a heavier type then used today in the 21st century. The decals look good, I’m praying they’ll go on ok. My goal is to display it along side my recently completed Me-109 “ yellow 14”.

This is one I built in the 1970s and was happy to see it for sale on the LHS consignment table recently along with several other old 1/32 Revell & Hasegawa kits .

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

This is an amazing entry, my friend @ssgt! Definitely a classic kit: might not be up to the "current" standards, but it is a solid, not extremely complicated kit, out of which a very attractive Stuka can emerge!

I have a true affection on "old/classic" kits, and this one perfectly fills my bill.

Being an early copy, it might mean that molding might be crisper and fit better than the later copies.

Decals look to be in good condition, too (?).

Looking forward to this amazing build!

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Jay,
    This is a great idea. It looks like you had one of the original boxing’s of the Revell Ju-87. I have a much newer version of the same kit. Mine is from the early to mid 1990’s.

I have seen a few of them built up over the years. They’re a good kit as far as I am concerned even though they were outclassed by the more modern Hasegawa version. The Stuka has a lot of raised rivets and overlapping panels. Revell got it right, even though some people bash them over it.

I will definitely keep an eye on this one ! Thanks for starting it. I’m sure it is going to be a trip down memory lane for some of us.

I almost picked up this very same model many years ago when I was a kid. Instead I went for the 1/32 Revell P-40E “Flying Tigers” model instead. Had I not picked out the P-40, this Stuka would have likely held the title of my very first plastic model. It was a choice between these two and the Bf-109G6 that Revell also had at the time...

Thanks buddy for posting it. I’m looking forward to seeing your next installment.

• Profile Photo

Thank you @fiveten & @lgardner for the warm welcome ! Old kits seem to be my main interest in modeling ...

I’m looking forward to building this and hope I’ll do it justice, since it’s been waiting for so long for help getting out of its shrink wrap . Any advice or pointers would be appreciated.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Jay, @ssgt, this looks like it could be a fun build. One thing I may suggest is that you scan your decals. Scan them into your computer, it enables you to be able print them up on paper and use that as a template to make masks from them. Also, there are guys who with a PDF of your decals can make vinyl masks for you, which for the snake would be great.

• Profile Photo

Scanning the decals would be a great idea, thanks Walt @luftwaffe-birdman. I’ll do that! Do you have any contacts that can make those masks?

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Jay, @coling, I do not have any contacts, I have had it done a couple of times, and don't remember who did it. This site doesn't have a Help Wanted/ Services Offered / Kits for Sale section, but I think I you might find someone over on Hyperscale, where I think I got mine.

Small scale plotters are actually pretty cheap and the software is easy enough. You could do it yourself if you wanted to invest a little time and money.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great kit with a beautiful 'snake' scheme, Jay @ssgt
    Nice to see those elder instruction sheets, especially the first line - "Deadly, when unopposed"
    A true statement for this aircraft.
    Looking forward to your build.

• Profile Photo

Hi John @johnb... instruction sheets once taught a mini-history lesson as well as having building instructions for the kit.

I’ve always liked the snake on this Stuka... very cool design. I’m looking forward to building this.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 8 months ago:

This will be a great addition to the GB. As far as I understand it, this is a desert scheme with the dramatic snake image and splotch camo. If so, it will be perfect OOB. I haven't seen many of these built but it looks like it will be classic 1970s Revell engineering. In other words, it will be a good solid build. I see from the instructions page that it also has an engine. Maybe some maintenance dio opportunities? Anyway, I am looking forward to it. Welcome to the DAW GB, Jay.

• Profile Photo

@coling - I’ve been trying to decide how to go about applying the camouflage . I’ve looked online and have seen a few different interpretations on it. At this point I’m undecided.

Thank you for starting this group. It’s an interesting one with many possibilities.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Your comment about interpretations of the camouflage got me interested, so I looked around on the Net myself. I imagine you know that there is an interesting article on the subject right here on iModeler (nice model too by Morne Meyer).

Junkers Ju-87 R-2 Stuka ‘Desert Snake’
    It's nice that the article has three quite clear wartime pics of one aircraft with the markings. I hadn't realized that the pattern could be a soft splinter camo or disruptive scheme, rather than splotches. Still, there seems to have been more than one aircraft with the snake and sand + green camo. Over on Britmodeler (I think) they said that the whole squadron may have been painted similarly, snake and all. I guess that would mean that there are many ways you could do the scheme and not necessarily be inaccurate. BTW, I think the snake is red, given the clear tonal contrast between the snake color and surrounding paint, as visible in the three pics. The camo also shines through this in places but I think that's because the red is a bit transparent in places. Just my opinion. Whatever the case, this will be a great build and a lot of fun.
  • Profile Photo

I got the chance to start the Stuka ball rolling today and painted the interior parts dark gray per the instructions . I still want to do some more dry brushing of high lights and painting some of the raised details that are moulded in to the sidewalls, floor, and instrument panel . The floor has some wood grain pattern on it. I dry brushed some tan to show some wear on the paint or other coating that I imagine was put on the floor when the aircraft was originally built.

The pilot & rear gunner, Jupp & Dieter, are not very detailed figures, and I’m not planning on using them . If I had some other figures to use I would, but I don’t . I’ll try to construct some seat belts.

It’s not an impressive start, but I read in a book “ don’t despise small beginnings”. I’m looking forward to seeing this old kit built and displayed next with my recently completed Me-109 , Yellow 14.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Hi Colin @coling ! I have seen Morne’s (@mornem) awesome Stuka... it’s incredible. He has been nice enough to send me a lot of information on Stukas, he has done a lot of research and was eager to help me with my project.

On the internet there are many different camo patterns for this Stuka . I believe the one Morne used is probably the most accurate.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Always a pleasure Jay. That is why Imodeler is such a great community of modelers where all of us like to share our expertise. My skills as a modeler has vastly improved by being on this site. Positive encouragement is the norm. You have me on e-mail. Always nice to chat.