Revell 1/32 Stuka

Started by Jay Mitchell · 99 · 2 years ago · 1/32, Luftwaffe, North Africa, Revell, Stuka
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 9 months ago:

That's a nice start, my friend @ssgt!
    You are right about the figures: they look very plain.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Great start, Jay @ssgt
    Your decision to leave those men out is a good one, it might have been difficult to get the seams corrected when glueing them together.
    Looking forward to this Snake build.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 9 months ago:

They do seem below average , @fiveten, even by 1969 standards. They remind me of some drawings I’ve seen of alleged space aliens .

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 9 months ago:

Leaving them out was an easy decision, @johnb, but now I feel I need to fabricate some seat belts. Although I’ve never used after market parts, I did look online for some better Stuka seats, didn’t see too much available. I’ll remain true to my OOB roots.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I’ve gotten the interior installed and the fuselage halves glued together. This morning I painted the engine and have it taped to the engine mounts while the glue sets up. Instead of leaving the engine cowling loose, I’m going to glue it in place.

The fit of the parts so far is pretty nice, better then some much newer models I’ve built. I wish I didn’t have to leave for work soon so I could do some more work on it, but I’m thankful to have a good job, and in aviation too!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looking great, my friend @ssgt!
    Yep, sometimes one just wishes he had another 30 minutes to model!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Nice progress, Jay @ssgt
    Time for modelling is always to short.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 2 years, 8 months ago:

The cockpit looks great, Jay! I am eagerly awaiting your progress on this build. With your skill we are all in for a treat!

• Profile Photo

Thank you @mornem & @johnb.
    I’m concerned about damaging the raised rivets near the seams . It’s unavoidable , I suppose.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Revell and Monogram still make great models, Jay (@ssgt), so I am really looking forward to following your build. Raised rivets that are removed during the putty and sand cycles is almost unavoidable. You might try putting masking tape down along each side of the seam to protect the detail, then do the putty and sand. Sometimes it works great, sometimes not so much.

• Profile Photo

Thank you , George @gblair ! I will try that suggestion. It seems like more often then not I choose old Revell or Monogram kits to bring home rather then some newer brands. I’ve yet to build a Eduard kit, but I hear they’re pretty nice.

• Profile Photo

Thank you, @fiveten !
    I need to sleep less to allow more styrene time.

• Profile Photo

Late last night the top engine cowling was attached to the fuselage and the two components of the propeller / spinner assembly were joined together. I think the correct color for the blades is “ Black Green” . That’s RLM 70 or 71, I think.

The next step will be to build up the wings. Each wing is comprised of three major pieces, and several smaller parts. Revell added a spar like Stiffener that goes the entire length of the wing. The inner portion of the lower wing has a long interlock tab that goes under the outer portion of the lower wing to help add strength to the joint between the two. Very nice old school engineering by the late great Revell.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Nice step by step progress, my friend @ssgt!
    You are absolutely correct for the color of the blades: they should be Black Green, which is RLM70. One example is Humbrol 91:

You are correct about the positive old school Revell engineering.
    Thanks for adding those fantastic production line Stuka pics!
    Looking forward to your next steps!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great steps and well described Jay @ssgt
    Like Spiros @fiveten said, RLM70 it is, Vallejo acrylic 71.021 can be used as well.