Academy 1/48 F86 Sabre, HAF 341 squadron

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 163 · 1 day ago · . 1/48, Academy, F86, HAF, Sabre
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

Like George @gblair, I will also paint the tail stripes instead of using the decals. The red and yellow color will be relatively easy to replicate. The green however looks more difficult, therefore I applied some of my green paint as examples and compared them to the decal. Currently I'm leaning towards the green marked 104.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 weeks, 2 days ago:

104 looks close. You should spray some on the model (or a test mule) to see how it looks after spraying. I've found that there is often a difference between a drop on paper (or flat plastic) and the same color sprayed.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

I think I would vote for 104 also, John (@johnb). What color is it?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

104 it is, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

@clipper, @gblair, @fiveten, I will definitely test it first. The color is Vallejo Model Air 71.104, which is RLM62 Green.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks ago:

Prepared to receive the black primer. Gun bays and airbrakes are temporarily closed.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks ago:

Really starting to look like a Sabre, John (@johnb). It really looks nice and smooth and ready for the shiny stuff.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks ago:

Solid progress and great looks, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks ago:

@gblair, @fiveten, thanks a lot, the black primer should go well, I'm a bit nervous for the NMF though (or what should like it in the end).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

While searching the internet to find the correct green color in the stripes at the tail, I was not able to find a good picture of the red tail aircraft from the 341 squadron with green in the stripes. For the 341 squadron, the only ones I could find were with black, or very dark green, stripes. The only aircraft with green added in the stripes are the ones with the yellow tail, 342nd squadron.

So at this moment I'm thinking about adding black, or very dark green, instead of green to the stripes.

The below pictures were found on the HAF museum website.

https://www.haf.gr/multimedia/photos/museum/

If anyone else has other insights or thoughts, please let me know

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

I think going for a black stripe is a sound choice, my friend @johnb.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 5 days ago:

@fiveten, the safest way forward to my opinion.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

I think black will be the easiest, John (@johnb). It is possible it carried different color bands during its career.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

@gblair, definitely the easiest color to match, George.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

I’m also voting for black stripes, John!