Started by George R Blair Jr · 138 · 2 hours ago · . 1/48, Airfix, F-86F-40
  • Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Those Sabre targets are really cool!
    Never heard about them before.

• Profile Photo
    Steven Corvi said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Very nice work

What do you use for Acrylic filler for the intakes?

Steve,

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Thanks, Alfred (@alfred) and Steve (@sjcorvi). My next F-86 will be a Navy QF-86. I like weathering planes, so this will be a good canvas. I already have a thread going for the Airfix F-86 that will be my target.

I read about the acrylic filler trick for the intake in one of the English modeling magazines several months ago. The modeler said he would fill the intake with an emulsion he got at the home improvement store, then let it drain out. I don't know what he used, but I used Vallejo acrylic putty diluted about 50-60% with water. I close the front end of the intake with tape, then I use a plastic pipette to squirt the thinned filler into the forward end of the intake pipe. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then I let the filler drain out. I don't try to fill up the whole thing, maybe 1/4 of the length. There is usually a hole in the pipe for the landing gear that I use to judge how much filler is in the pipe. I have used the technique twice now and had good results both times. Next time I am in a home improvement store I plan to look around for another option that might be less expensive than Vallejo filler.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 weeks ago:

After 3 busy days in a row (Aren't things supposed to slow down when you retire?), I got some good work done on the Sabre today. I was building a lot of sub-assemblies today. This model has even more panels than the Academy kit that need to be added to various places on the fuselage. The one constant when I add the panels is that one panel will fit perfectly, but the one on the other side of the fuselage doesn't fit so well. And it isn't just the panels on one side. On one set of panels, the right will fit perfectly and the left won't, but the next pair of panels will be opposite. Oh, well. Nothing impossible to fix with a little fit, sand, check, and repeat.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 weeks ago:

Looking good, George!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks ago:

Some fine progress on this Sabre, George @gblair

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), John (@john), and Alfred (@alfred).

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 weeks ago:

Looking great George (@gblair). I've heard mixed reviews on the Airfix Sabre, but I think it is probably no worse than other Sabre kits.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Carl (@clipper). I think you are right. This kit has some really cool ideas, but the fit is hit or miss.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

This is only my second "new era" Airfix kit, the first being a Beaufighter that was a marvel to build. I expected the same here, but this kit is a real mixed bag of good and bad. There are a large number of panels that must be added to the fuselage that must fit perfectly to avoid sanding. I am really trying to avoid sanding because of the upcoming natural metal finish. Some panels fit perfectly, while other aren't even close. The irritating thing is that the panel on one side of the fuselage might fit perfectly, but the corresponding panel on the other side requires a lot of work to get something that sort-of fits. The wing consists of seven parts on each side (not counting the gear, gear doors, etc), and it would seem to be an overly complicated collection of parts that are just asking for trouble. The wings will take a lot of work to get them ready for a NMF. Anyway, one step at a time.

On another note, I think I may build a third F-86, this time in Honduran colors. More to come. :o)

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

I feel for you George (@gblair). I had similar issues in some places when I built the Airfix Hunter. Although that kit is somewhat troublesome, it is far better than the Academy Hunter. It's interesting seeing some of the areas you have fit problems being similar to my Trumpeter Fury fit issues.

As you said, and good approach to this build, "One thing at a time". It'll all come together eventually. Looking like you have a handle on what is needed.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Despite the odds you do your usual magic with the Airfix Sabre, my friend @gblair! Looks fantastic so far! And, yes, one step at a time will get you there. Also, one can never build too many F-86s, can he 🙂

Now on a small vacation, coming back next week, hoping to finish my NATO camoed Greek Sabre, then, maybe, resisting the temptation to tackle one of my too many started projects and tackle another Sabre?

Really Iike how your Airfix Sabre proceeds, looking forward to your progress!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Thanks, Carl (@clipper) and Spiros (@fiveten). This isn't a bad kit. I think the problem is that I expected it to be as good as the Airfix Beaufighter I had previously built, and it wasn't. I may spray some gray primer on it just to check to see how the various panels and wing parts are coming together. Vacations are great when you are retired, Spiros. You don't have to worry about taking leave from work.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

You're making some good progress on this Sabre as well, George @gblair