Airfix 1/48 F-86F-40, Markings TBD

Started by George R Blair Jr · 119 · 4 hours ago · . 1/48, Airfix, F-86F-40
  • Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 weeks ago:

I am a bit surprised by the poor fitting of this Airfix kit, George!
    My experiences with particularly the newer Airfix are quite positive, so apparently they’ve missed the boat with this one.
    You’ve mastered the difficulties in a great way however.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks ago:

Thanks for stopping by, Alfred (@alfred) and John (@johnb). Today I have been working on sanding and polishing prior to painting. I was also surprised by some of the poor fits of this kit. I had heard that some of the first of the new kits had some problems that have now been worked out, but I didn't think the F-86 was one of the early kits. None of these fit issues is a show-stopper, just annoying. Cheers

• Profile Photo

The plan for today was to get everything ready for painting. I cut all of parts to be added off the sprue and cleaned them up. I determined which set of drop tanks I needed and assembled them.

Getting the fuselage ready was a little more work. The first thing I needed to do is the thing I hate the worst: re-establishing the panel lines that have been lost. I hate this task because I am not very good at it, and I usually end up giving myself more work because the tool jumps off-track and creates a new line that I have to fill. This plane was even more difficult because the panel lines are very wide. There wasn't really a good way to match the width of the existing line, so I just did the best I could and hopefully the mismatched widths won't be too noticeable. I got all the lines done that I planned to do, and then repaired all of the inadvertent lines that I added. Finally I polished all of the plane's surface with an old t-shirt. I gave the plane one last check, and, of course, discovered a phantom seam on top of the fuselage. I added more filler to the seam, let it dry, and then sanded and polished it. I think it is ready to go.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 weeks ago:

Restoring surface detail can be nearly as tedious as sanding seams at times. I've found what works best for me is to restore as I go rather than wait until I am done. THis way I can do it it in smaller bites. I use CA glue as my filler of choice so there is little waiting time before sanding can commence. I typically tackle a section at a sitting and spread the tediousness over a few days.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @gblair! Great that restored the lost panel lines. And, of course, that phantom seam 🙂
    Pity for the short shot door, looks like new Airfix kits exhibit such issues more frequently than others.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks ago:

Great preparations prior to the paint session, George @gblair
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 weeks ago:

Nice progress, George!
    Two things I hate most about our hobby are sanding and restoring panel lines.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Carl (@clipper), Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and Alfred (@alfred). The plastic seems really soft on this model, so my scribing tool wanted to dig in as it cut a panel line. As often as not, it would wonder in unwanted directions, causing damage that had to be repaired. I have a scriber from Unique Master Models (UMM) that has two blades, one for pulling and one for pushing. Sometimes it is easier to push a blade to restore a panel line than it is to pull it through the plastic.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 weeks ago:

I have those scribers from UMM as well George (@gblair) and I've found them to be more trouble to control than using one of those flat two sided razor saws for most scribing, especially over curved surfaces.The biggest drawback to the razor saw is getting into a tight corner and I can usually get around this either with the UMM scriber or a scribing needed chucked up in a pin vise. I agree that sometimes pushing works better. In all cases, I've found that it takes a lot of concentration to keep the touch lite, especially in the initial scribes. Having the scribing slip is par for the course, unfortunately, and having the plastic being too soft doesn't help matters. This is one of the reasons I rescribe and repair as I go with seam work rather than wait until I am finished with the entire model. The other is because I find my patience wearing thin if I have to do this for too long and I have to avoid the urge to rush a job to get it finished. Can't say I am always successful in that last bit! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Hi Carl (@clipper): I certainly understand the patience part of scribing. I just finished fixing the slips that I made while re-scribing the fuselage. I have used a razor saw to do the job, but it produces lines that are too wide in most cases. I have also tried using the photoetch sawblades that Tamiya makes, and they work well but are a little too flexible. The UMM tools really seems to dig in on this plastic and leads to problems. The UMM does have a side designed for pushing, which consists of a scribing tip and a long, sharp, straight section. I have been using the blade to establish the line, then using a Tamiya scriber to do the work. Painful, at best. I hope to be painting tomorrow. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

I am trying to get everything ready to paint tomorrow. I got the glass ready using Eduard masks, which fit perfectly. The Airfix glass is very nice, by the way. These drones had several items that I need to add. In the cockpit, the gunsight was removed and replaced with a control panel that sits on top of the glare shield. I created the box and switches using Tinkercad and printed it in my 3D resin printer, along with the small wingtip pods that were carried on many of these planes. I also added a small tube that sticks out from the top of the engine intake on the front of the fuselage. This is the camera lens that transmits the view ahead to the pilot who is controlling the plane from the ground. I was a little irritated that there is no glare shield provided in this model. Most actual airplanes have a glare shield over the instrument panel, but many models do not provide one. I added one using thin plastic, then filled the open area behind the panel with acrylic putty. Finally, I checked the size of my homemade control panel, and called it a day.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Some great progress, George @gblair
    Nice additions to make it more realistic, especially that camera tube is nicely done.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 5 days ago:

Fantastic add-ons, my friend @gblair! Absolutely wonderful!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten). The cockpit additions should be dry today, so I should be able to paint them and add the glass. Then it will be on to painting. I figure I will do the red/orange accents first, then do the NMF. Less masking that way. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 5 days ago:

NMF last on sounds also less risky, since you will not have to mask it, my friend @gblair