F-86F of 32nd USAFE day fighter squadron 1952

Started by Alfred van Paaschen · 67 · 1 day ago · F-86F, Netherlands, Soesterberg, USAFE, Wolfhounds
  • Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Thank for inviting me to this GB. I was already planning on building a Sabre, the decals I bought some time ago.
    My Sabre will be a rendition of the “Wolfhounds” squadron based at Soesterberg AFB in the early 50’s.
    Haven’t decided yet on a suitable kit yet. Any recommendations for or experiences with 1/48 scale kits are very much appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

A wonderful entry, my friend @alfred!
    Academy, Hasegawa and the new Airfix, among, possibly, others, are fine kits. Looks like your chosen bird has the slatted wing (without the wing fences on top), so you should look for this option.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Looking forward to your build, Alfred (@alfred). Most of the F-86s were NMF, so it should be fun.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros! @fiveten

The Sabre in the picture actually comes from the Portuguese Air Force 5307 (serial no. 51-5180). The aircraft was picked up from Portugal in connection with the 25th anniversary of the 32nd Tactical Fighter Squadron and was painted in the livery and fake registration FU-385 (25385) of the 32nd Fighter Day Squadron. The aircraft was transferred to the Military Aviation Museum in 1993 on loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton Ohio and can now be seen at the National Military Museum. That might be the reason that it has no leading edge slats. The first picture, showing FU-384, does show fences (in green).

• Profile Photo

I now see what you meant with slats and fences, Spiros! @fiveten
    The wing configuration in the top right hand corner is the one I need to opt for (late F86F), see attached picture.
    Thanks for making me aware of this phenomenon.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George! @gblair

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

A wonderful entry, Alfred @alfred
    I have no experience on 1/48 Sabre yet, but I will enter with an Academy one.
    Likely you already have a lot of pictures from this aircraft at the Military Museum, otherwise I can share some which I took during my visit last year.

• Profile Photo

Hi John, thanks. @johnb
    But please note this is a fake registration. See above. Also the wings does not seem to resemble the Wolfhounds F-86F version as it lacks the wing fences and fixed slats. Spiros @fiveten made aware of this. See also attached pictures of the real Wolfhounds Sabre.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@alfred, yes, I noticed the missing wing fences. Still a nice aircraft on display.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Nice-looking Sabre in the photo from the museum, although it looks like a gloomy day, Alfred (@alfred). The Sabres of the Wolfhounds in the second set of photos could be a really cool model.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George!
    Hope to finish my T-33 next week, so I can start working on the Sabre shortly after that.
    Basis for the project will be the latest release of Academy’s 1/48 F-86F.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Looking forward to it, my friend @alfred!

• Profile Photo

Looking forward to see you working on it as well, Alfred @alfred

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 month ago:

Nice choice of markings, Alfred. I like the green highlights against the bare metal. Good to have a Europe-based Cold War defender, since so many F-86 builds end up in Korean War USAF markings. Good you don't have to deal with the giant yellow ID bands on the fuselage and wings. I am not sure about how that will work out in my own builds. I have heard only good things about the Academy F-86F-30 and it is appropriate late bird for your Wolfhounds subject. Thanks for that nice graphic of the wing slat design. As an aside, it is interesting that Canadair Sabres eliminated the slats on the Mk. 5 and then brought them back on the Mk. 6. They had advantages and disadvantages vis a vis manoeuvrability, apparently.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 weeks, 5 days ago:

Thanks, Colin! @coling