F-86F of 32nd USAFE day fighter squadron 1952

Started by Alfred van Paaschen · 107 · 1 hour ago · F-86F, Netherlands, Soesterberg, USAFE, Wolfhounds
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

That NMF shines brightly this way, Alfred @alfred
    Indeed finally some great weather here, a pity I had to work, but right now I'm watching your post in my backyard.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Thanks, John! @johnb
    The weather indeed was beautiful today.
    I had a nice ride in my 1991 E30 cabriolet after I prepared it for the summer season.
    See the picture below for a look under the hood, isn’t it nice and clean?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

I’ve been working on some panel accents this evening.
    A very rewarding piece of work as it makes the NMF surface more lively in my opinion.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

That E30 engine looks nicely prepared, Alfred @alfred
    I can imagine you took it out for a ride yesterday.
    The panel shading does look great, how did you create the various shades.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks, 4 days ago:

Cannot decide which is more beautiful, the E30 or the Sabre, my friend @alfred! I can imagine how nice is to drive your cabriolet with fine weather.
    The shading looks really great, has added depth to the overall finish.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 weeks, 3 days ago:

Thank again, guys! @johnb @fiveten

I use 4 to 5 different NMF lacquers, usually varying from white aluminum (light) to titanium (dark).

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 3 days ago:

NMF looks awesome, Alfred (@alfred). Very subtle and effective use of different colors. I always thought it was illegal to have an engine that clean. Very nice.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

Thanks so much, George! @gblair

• Profile Photo

A bit of a mishap today unfortunately…
    I masked a panel which I thought was protected by a layer of Future. After removal of the masking I realized it actually was NOT protected. Sigh! 😔
    Maybe I should consider to start taking notes of work done (and to be done) per building session.
    Anyway, touch up work to be done tomorrow.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

That's a real pity, Alfred @alfred
    Definitely repairable but not what you wanted to work on.
    Maybe it was due to the extreme climate difference we had today compared to yesterday.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for your kind words. @johnb
    Of course I can blame the weather change, but I’m afraid it was my own fault to put mask tape on an unprotected area.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 2 days ago:

Hi Alfred (@alfred): I have been telling myself for at least 40 years that I should take notes during my builds, especially about things like paint formulas when I mix a special color or other painting matters (like clear coats). When I was flying in the Air Force, I would often be partially through a build when I would leave for a 2 week trip. When I came home, it was almost impossible to remember what I had done, or what I had intended to do next. Somehow the models always seemed to get built, so if you don't take notes I am sure it will all be OK. :o)

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Thanks so much for your support, George. @gblair
    I’ve got a few busy days ahead and then off for a short vacation. So not much activity from my side on this platform the coming time I’m afraid.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Hi Alfred (@alfred): Vacations are good for the mind and soul. Your model will still be there when you get back.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 weeks, 1 day ago:

Sorry to see the paint pulled off. I went through this with my P-38 recently. It sucks for sure. As for taking notes, I often run into the problem of trying to remember what to do next. Fortunately, my mind seems to have a built in aversion to these sort of things and I can tell it's time to make a list of things to do. This helps with getting tasks done in the proper order and all of them done (assuming I remember to add it to the list), but it doesn't help with future builds because I don't really have a good system in place (yet) for keeping track of notes and build issues.