Golden Hawks Sabre Mk. 6

Started by Tom Cleaver · 22 · 1 day ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 weeks ago:

So, this will be a Golden Hawks Sbare Mk. 6 from the third and final team of the famous RCAF flight demo team of the late 50s - early 60s.

The kit is the Airfix F-86F-40 with the wing extension removed and the wingtip modified and reinstalled, with "sugar scoops from Evergreen plastic. Airfix always gets things wrong whenever they let the bean counters tell them how to produce a kit. These Sabre kits were all done in India - the tell of which is the clear parts were removed too soon and are thus about as clear as a coke bottle. Since the kit's cockpit is "nothing to write home about" I installed the seat and then closed the canopy. Thank goodness the cockpit was black!

I am using the Leading Edge Golden Hawks sheet, which has planes from all three teams. The model will be painted with Mr. Color Duralumin for the leading edges of the flying surfaces, and Mr Color Gold for the airframe.

I've always thought this was the best color scheme for an F-86 flight demo team.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 weeks ago:

Excellent entry and ditto progress, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 weeks ago:

Great entry and a ditto start, Tom @tcinla

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 weeks ago:

This will be a fun one, Tom (@tcinla). I have always thought that it would be hard to paint and maintain a plane painted with gold paint, so I look forward to seeing a model of one.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 1 week, 6 days ago:

Nice scheme!
    Looking forward to see this gold bird taking shape.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 week, 2 days ago:

The model is painted.

It turns out, Gold is an even more difficult color to apply right than any Silver color. It really picks up any blemishes on the surface. I used Mr. Hobby "super Gold" lacquer-base metalizer. After testing on the paint mule, I thinned it 60 (thinner)-40 (paint) and "misted" it on. I didn't apply an undercoat, since the plastic of this model was light enough to get the maximum color, but if I was painting a grey-plastic kit, I would give it an overall coat of flat white first.

The gold color really brings out the "second-rateness" of this Airfix Sabre kit compared to a Hasegawa or Academy kit, with its heavy trenches for panel detail. But this kit had the 6-3 wing and slats, which made a Sabre Mk.6 an easy conversion.

The leading edge and slats were painted with Mr. Hobby "Super Duralumin."

On to the Leading Edge decal and calling this finished!

Also, I applied Future to the clear canopy and that "cleared up" the distortion from the deficient molding process. Something to think about in the future with any other Airfix kit.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 week, 1 day ago:

I wonder what a coat of Mr. Surfacer could do for the the panel lines. TC your work is top notch regardless. The panel line depth for some Airfix kits is an on going issue for some.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 1 day ago:

Gold looks great, Tom )@tcinla). I have never seen a plane in gold before. I am surprised you could find the right color to do it. I am building the Airfix kit next, so it should be fun.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 week, 1 day ago:

The "official color" for the team was "Sheffield Luxor Pale Gold" (whatever that is. This gold looked like the color photos, so maybe gold is gold?)

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week, 1 day ago:

That looks really nice, Tom @tcinla
    Did you take any special preperation or airbrush setting to get that gold on.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 1 day ago:

The gold looks excellent, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 week, 1 day ago:

@johnb - Just kept the pressure at 15 lbs psi, thinned the paint so it came out in a mist.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week ago:

Hi Tom (@tcinla): I always wondered about the paint scheme on these planes. It sure looks gold in photos, but can you imagine painting the actual planes and keeping them looking good?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 week ago:

Flight Demo trams are always high-maintenance

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 days, 14 hours ago:

Decals done now.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.