Group F-86 #4: Italeri 1/48 F-86E

Started by George R Blair Jr · 58 · 3 months ago · . 1/48, F-86E, Italeri, Sabre
  • Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

John, how about us sending some buckets with Dutch rain water over to Carl and George? πŸ˜‚
    @clipper @johnb @gblair

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

We'll take them!
    Alfred (@alfred) Carl (@clipper) John (@johnb)

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

@alfred, @gblair, @clipper, indeed, a record breaking amount of rain in May. I think we could definitely send more than just some buckets. Not only May, but also March and April were quite wet. I think most people would be very happy to share some rain with you guys πŸ˜„

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

I started painting today. The entire nose area is a high-vis red, while the rest of the plane is natural metal. I started by spraying Tamiya Flat White over the areas that would be red. After letting it dry for a few hours, I painted the red using a mix of Vallejo Model Air (Light Red and Ferrari Red). Both of these colors were in the new bottles that Vallejo is using. Supposedly there is a slightly different formula of paint in the new bottles. It did seem to spray better, but maybe that was just a self-fulfilling expectation. Natural metal tomorrow. Yeah!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent painting results, my friend @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Great painting, George @gblair
    That color matches exactly the one on the photo.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Sadly it doesn't look like that anymore.

Here is the story:
    I mixed 3 different colors of Model Air together to get the red I used on the plane. This morning I got ready to continue painting when I noticed that the colors had separated as they dried. There were places where you distinctly 3 separate red colors on the surface of the model. I tried a couple times to remix the red, but they dried noticeably different than the existing paint. I finally realized that my only option here was a repaint of the entire area, but I decided to remove all the paint rather than possibly getting a big paint buildup. The good thing about acrylics is that they are easily removed with alcohol. I had used Tamiya Flat White as an undercoat for the red, but I had missed a spot. Rather than using the airbrush again I used a little Tamiya White Primer from a spray can. As you might guess, the alcohol removed everything except the Tamiya Primer.

I plan to repaint the red tomorrow. I am not sure I trust the Model Air mixture anymore, so I am looking at other alternatives. One of the Model Air colors that I used was in one of their new bottles, which supposedly also means that the paint is a slightly modified formula. I wonder if there was a problem mixing the old and new formulas of Model Air. I don't think so, but there has to be a reason the paint separated as it dried. More tomorrow.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Such things happen, my friend @gblair. Will look excellent when redone.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Weird how those paints got seperated, George @gblair
    Luckily you were able to remove the paint relatively easy.
    Looking forward for the re-paint.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I have never had paint do that before. I suppose it is possible that it wasn't mixed sufficiently, or that the old and new Model Air colors were resistant to mixing. Hopefully more today.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 months, 1 week ago:

That’s quite strange because I did exactly the same with the day glo areas on my T-bird!

1/48 RNLAF T-33A (GWH4819)
    I mixed Vallejo and Ammo acrylics. Did you dilute the mixture as well, George?
  • Profile Photo

Hi Alfred (@alfred): I mixed two reds, a little white, and some Vallejo thinner. All of the colors used were Vallejo Model Air. I have never had paint that I had mixed separate while it was drying.

• Profile Photo

Today was repainting day. I really wanted to take my time so that I didn't make mistakes, but I really wanted to get this done so I can move on to the next model. I cleaned the model one more time with alcohol, then I sprayed Tamiya White Primer from a spray can over the entire model. I let it dry for several hours. I didn't want to pin my hopes on Model Air again, so I decided to use Mr. Color Shine Red, which looked like a good match. I have never used Mr. Color before, but I thinned it with some Mr. Color Leveling Thinner and sprayed it in the areas that would be red. I like the way the paint behaved, but I still don't like putting lacquer in my airbrush. I let the red dry for several hours, then masked the red areas using Tamiya tape. My next experiment was with the NMF. I had done some experimenting with Tamiya TS-30 Silver Leaf sprayed from a can. I sprayed several light layers over the metallic areas and then set it aside to dry. After a few hours drying, I think it looked pretty good, so I removed the tape. I am happy with how it looks, so clear gloss and decals starting tomorrow. Yeah.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent painting results, my friend @gblair! Great that all went well!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Looks really good, George @gblair
    Also the stripe turned out perfectly.