Group F-86 #4: Italeri 1/48 F-86E

Started by George R Blair Jr · 58 · 2 months ago · . 1/48, F-86E, Italeri, Sabre
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I hope to finish the painting today and do decals tomorrow.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 months ago:

Oh yeah! That paint job is turning out swimmingly! Sorry to hear about the initial red troubles, but a great recovery. I assume you're going to print out the lettering on decal paper?

Regardless, this is going to be a fitting end to a whole line of cool Sabres.

• Profile Photo

Hi Carl (@clipper): Things seem to be going a lot better on the second attempt. I have a set of decals from EuroDecals for this plane. They seem to be working really well, except that the blue for the national insignia was too light, so I replaced them with some very old Microscale decals. The four Sabres have been fun, but now I am ready to move on to something else.

• Profile Photo

I have been slowly working my way through finishing the F-86. After the initial hiccup with the painting, everything has gone smoothly. I have had a few problems with the decals, but they were easily overcome. I am planning to spray the final clear gloss on the plane either tonight or tomorrow, add all the gear doors, and call it done.

14 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months ago:

Very close to the finish line and beautifully done, my friend @gblair! Your custom made decals look great!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months ago:

Smooth result on the decals, George @gblair

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Hopefully done today. :o)

• Profile Photo

Done, except for the folding gear door that attaches to the nose gear strut. I forgot to paint it red to match the nose, so it is now painted and drying. If it is dry enough today, I will attach it to the strut and take the final photos. Thanks to all of those who followed along. Cheers.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Congratulations, my friend @gblair! Another awesome Sabre!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Another excellent Sabre, George @gblair
    You have finalized a great quartet of Sabres. Each with their unique schemes.
    Well done.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). I still need to finish the final gear door and then do the final photos. I want to do the D-Day Spitfire next, but it won't arrive in the mail for several more days. May try to do something quickly in the meantime. Thanks for following along on this one.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

A very unique Sabre you’ve got there, George!
    The custom made decals make it very special, and of course the paint scheme.
    A real eyecatcher it is and an awesome piece of work.
    Can’t wait to see the headline on this one!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months, 4 weeks ago:

Thanks for following along, Alfred (@alfred). Time to move on to something different.