Representing the Naval Side - FJ-4B Fury

Started by Carl Smoot · 163 · 3 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking great, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks JOhn (@johnb) and Spiros (@fiveten). I decided to do this before applying the clear coat so that I could spray the model in one session.

Unfortunately, the poor fit of the landing gear, and my fumble fingers made it difficult to get these on without incident and I ended up with a couple of small glue spots from my fingers on the upper surface. So I am feeling somewhat deflated at the moment, but have smooth sanded the small areas in question and will apply some paint touch up today.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

The Fury looks fabulous on her landing gear, Carl!
    Touching up little mistakes we all do every now and then unfortunately, nothing new.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

The markings are real standouts on this one, Carl (@clipper). I am positive that you couldn't have obtained the same results with decals.

• Profile Photo

I know the feeling when you realize a small amount of glue is trapped between your finger and your preciously painted model, my friend @clipper 🙁
    No big deal, though: some touch up and all will be good 👍

• Profile Photo

Slowly but surely getting this done. Wing fold detail painting based upon a washed out color photo I have.
    I have to do a gloss coat on this area (the rest of the plane was already done), then I'll do some washes to bring out details.

• Profile Photo

I love the colors in the wing-fold area, Carl (@clipper). Looks really cool.

• Profile Photo

Looks really nice, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Nice detail painting, Carl @clipper

• Profile Photo

Thanks George (@gblair), Spiros (@fiveten), and John (@johnb). My mojo has been a bit week the last few days so the progress has been somewhat slowed. One of the last remaining tasks on the main build is to get the missiles built and painted. For some reason, I've been avoiding this even though it's only three missiles.

However, the real test of mojo will be when I complete the aircraft and then need to start working on the carrier deck base. I'm hoping that it will be different enough that it will be more amendable to working on given my current state of mojo.

• Profile Photo

Mojo comes and goes, then comes back again, my friend @clipper! You'll do splendidly with the deck!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten). The deck will be a first for me, and I have some good references on how to finish it, so we'll see how it goes.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

The mojo will return sooner than you think, Carl @clipper

• Profile Photo

Shifting gears a little is always a good way to regain some mojo, Carl (@clipper). What always works for me is to attack something really simple, without any additions or scratchbuilding. Something like an old Revell or Monogram. I also have my train layout. When models lose their mojo, working on trains always helps. Or go watch an old war movie.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 months, 1 week ago:

Very interesting looking wing folding area, Carl!
    Nice piece of work. I hope you’ll find your mojo back soon to continue this beautiful build.