Representing the Naval Side - FJ-4B Fury

Started by Carl Smoot · 163 · 2 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 months ago:

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten), JOhn (@johnb), George (@gblair), and Alfred (@alfred), my mojo is still somewhat there, it's just a bit smaller while I work to get through this build. I will be building something easier after this as well as working on the USS San Francisco project.

This morning, I started looking into the carrier deck base and immediately ran into some things that have made me decide to skip this, at least for now. I have a carrier deck molding, however, it is not big enough for the Fury, and even if it were, it is not the part of the deck I had wanted to use. I had always envisioned a catapult scene.

So given that, I thought about it for awhile and decided that the work needed to make a carrier base from scratch would drag this build out for too long with a very real risk of me losing interest in it. Therefore, I am going to finish the model itself, and perhaps at some point in the future, I will do a carrier base.

I do have an idea which I will probably experiment with, namely using my vinyl cutter to do some light engraving on a sheet of styrene. The idea here is to layout the wood planking in a drawing, along with other details, and then set the blade on the cutter to very shallow and have it cut all of that into the sheet styrene. This would save a considerable amount of effort from having to individually create and glue planks to a display base. For now, this will just be an experiment, but if its successful, or at least shows promise, then I will return to it possibly in the future to make the carrier deck.

Anyway, enough of that. I did get the decaling done today. There wasn't much to do. The two largest tasks were creating the black serial numbers and printing them on clear decal sheet, and then piecing together the white lettering for the nose intake warning from the kit decals. My choice of red paint matched the decal colors very well and the two blend together quite nicely.

I had to cut the original kit decal into four separate words and piece them back together so they would fit on the red triangular area.

While decaling, I had to place a red warning on the exhaust as well. When I looked at it closely, imagine my surprise when the text on that was even worse than on the nose. It should be "Beware Of Jet Blast", but what is says is "Beware Or Jeimblast". 🙁

It's pretty small and I went ahead and used the decals anyway, but it's frustrating that this kind of thing got past whatever Hobby Boss calls their QA department.They probably call it the "Will Anyone Notice It Department" and decide if they care or not. Sorry about the rant.

Gloss coat and oil wash is next.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months ago:

I think the lettering looks great, Carl (@clipper). You are close to the end, so keep the mojo flowing. The wording on the lettering reminds me of the lettering in the samples in Microsoft Word.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months ago:

Great looks so far, my friend @clipper!
    Ah, those quality departments! I think the Jet Blast decal was created by someone who did not know what jet blast is 🙂Good decision to proceed without the deck, keep it fun.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months ago:

This looks really good, Carl @clipper
    You would expect that at least someone would notice this during the final quality checks.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 months ago:

Nice progress you’ve made there, Carl!
    It’s really unbelievable how many spelling errors one finds in the decals (and even more so on stencils) of Chinese kits.
    Our Chinese friends apparently haven’t got a clue of the meaning of the words.
    But how difficult can it be? Doing some research beforehand and quality control afterwards. Think their mission is more focused on making money than happy modelers. Sigh 😔

• Profile Photo

Thanks George (@gblair), Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), and Alfred (@alfred). I am thankful that there is at least a decent Fury kit available in this scale. I can hope that at some future point it will be retooled along with other Navy jets (48th scale Banshee please).

• Profile Photo

I'm going to be away for several days at a family reunion with my brother and sister, so I will have to finish up the Fury when I return. I was hoping to get it done by today, but alas, there are still some things to do.

I've got the panel line wash in place as well as the satin clear coat. I unmasked the canopy, but have not removed it yet, so there is a piece of tape on the inside and what looks to be a small piece of plastic, which I will get out when I return.

The missiles are painted, but not decaled or oil washed yet. The other under wing stores are installed, but there are a few small detail bits to add to that. Wing folds are not on yet.

So here it is so far.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months ago:

Almost crossing the finish line and looking excellent, my friend @clipper!
    Have a great family reunion!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months ago:

She looks great already, Carl @clipper
    Enjoy your family reunion, the Fury will wait patiently for you to return.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months ago:

Have a great reunion, Carl (@clipper). The model will be here when you get back. The last bits always seem to take the longest.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

She's finished and I've created a Headlines article with final reveal shots.

Hobby Boss 1/48 FJ-4B Fury
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

A true gem, Carl @clipper
    Excellent headline article.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months, 3 weeks ago:

Congratulations my friend @clipper! A wonderful result after an equally wonderful build thread! Looks awesome at the headlines!