Representing the Naval Side - FJ-4B Fury

Started by Carl Smoot · 163 · 3 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months ago:

Looks great, Carl (@clipper). I have also been regretting my decision to paint the NMF first then try to mask for the other colors. Hindsight is 20/20. Should have done the colors first so that I wouldn't have to mask over the metals. I had a colonoscopy on Tuesday, so I have been away from the hobby table for a few days. Was hoping to jump back in tomorrow, but lost a tree in the big storm today. Luckily it missed the house and fence when it came down. Back yard flooded. My neighbor's rain gauge had 4.5 inches in it after the storm. Tomorrow will be busy. Have a good one.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @clipper! Good decision on the "jet intake" decal, looking forward to how it will turn out.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months ago:

Some good progress, Carl @clipper
    Seems like not the easiest approach to mask the red but definitely doable with your skills.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 4 months ago:

Creative solution for the jet intake problem, Carl!
    Hope it’ll work out well.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 4 months ago:

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten), John (@johnb), George (@gblair), and Alfred (@alfred).

Like George, my last several days have been occupied with a variety of things. Interestingly, one of those things is my attempt at getting the masks made for the tail of my Fury. It was a combination of the vinyl cutter not wanting to properly cut the masks (they kept lifting or were not cut deep enough to separate them from the sheet), and the difficulty I had in recreating the large tail lettering.

The "NJ" lettering is angled aft because it is on a swept vertical surface. Additionally, the lettering is a non standard font so it had to be created manually. The third issue was getting it sized correctly (or at least as correct as I could get it). And then I had to get it applied to the tail surface. My first attempts using vinyl would not stick well enough, so I switched to Tamiya masking sheets (kabuki tape). These stick well enough, but I had to relearn how to cut them so that they would remain intact while being cut.

I had to buy a new blade for my cutter, and unfortunately, it was the wrong blade and not compatible with my cutter. I went looking for the correct one and no one had any in stock (including Amazon). I had to finally purchase a manually adjustable blade which I was able to find. Then more experimentation to find the correct blade depth and cutter settings.

Not mentioned so far, was an additional difficulty. I was able to use a profile to get the left hand side lettering created, by importing the profile and then tracing around it using various drawing tools in the software. But the right hand side markings were angled in the opposite direction (to be readable), so I could not simply flip the image over and reuse it. I had to manually create it.

I finally got what I thought were decent versions of both sides and then applied the masks to the tail, only to find that one side was taller than the other and neither of them fit very well. Arrgh! So back to the drawing software and more time adjusting both images.

I was more successful this time, although I still think there is a slight difference in the lettering from one side to the other. However, it is going to be what I use. So I completed the masking last night and will be spraying the tail today.

I do want to say, that in spite of the difficulties I am and was having with masking, I still feel that this approach to marking can yield very nice results. Furthermore, it gives me options for markings that might not be available otherwise (as in this case).

• Profile Photo

Sorry your die cut machine is giving you problems, Carl (@clipper). I am sure all your efforts will be worth it on the finished plane. Your experience is why I seldom use my wife's machine to cut stencils. I always seem to spend a huge amount of time to get workable stencils. My wife has a new machine that is supposed to be a lot more user-friendly. It doesn't require the sticky cutting mat required by the others. The real issue on all of these machines is getting a useable digital design that will accurately cut. I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

• Profile Photo

Yes, George (@gblair), the process can be somewhat frustrating. I think a big part of the problem is the Silhouette Studio software which is a limited use drawing program with many quirks and foibles. Next time I do this, I am going to do all my design work in a real drawing program (Affinity Designer II) and then import it into Silhouette Studio so I can send it to the cutter.

• Profile Photo

Wow. Some professional work going on here.
    You sure don’t opt for the easy way, Carl!
    Hats off for the wonderful masking on the tail.
    Looking forward to seeing the end result.

• Profile Photo

Hi Carl (@clipper): I still mainly use the Silhouette software just out of convenience, but I have done some limited work in other programs and imported it. Nothing as detailed as yours. I suspect both are equally frustrating to use.

• Profile Photo

Some serious masking going on, Carl @clipper
    Sorry to hear that not everything is going as smoothly as you would like to.

• Profile Photo

Thanks George (@gblair), John (@johnb), and Alfred (@alfred). The masking approach to markings is just another tool in the arsenal. Remember, a professional (which I am not) is just an amateur that has more experience and possibly more education.

I got the green down on the tail. It worked out mostly pretty well. There are a few small touch ups needed. But overall I am happy with it. There will be some black stripes added later, but the next step after this dries will be to get started on the main fuselage white and light grey, or I might do the national insignia next.

• Profile Photo

Looks pretty awesome to me already, Carl!

• Profile Photo

Tail came out great, Carl (@clipper). The masks look like they worked perfectly.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months ago:

Yes, the masks seem yo have worked perfectly, my friend @clipper! Supreme job!

• Profile Photo

That's an amazing result, Carl @clipper
    The tail came out beautifully.