Representing the Naval Side - FJ-4B Fury

Started by Carl Smoot · 163 · 3 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Your Fury is quickly climbing into awesomeness, Carl (@clipper). I am still amazed by how well your tail markings came out, and the rest of the plane is also well done. What did you decide for the white lettering?

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks Alfred (@alfred), Spiros (@fiveten), and George (@gblair). There were times when I wondered if I was ever going to get to this stage in this build. George, I am going to use the kit decals for the white lettering. I cut them into smaller segments so I can move them closer to each other and fit on the red triangle. I will be making decals for the serial numbers under the horizontal stabilizer.

Things are beginning to pick up now. I decided the next thing to do was get most of the remaining masks used for black in place and get that color down. It took several hours to do this as it was quite tedious. And I had to redo the "Navy" masks because they were not straight the first time.

Once the masks were applied, then it was a whole bunch of extra tape to protect from overspray.

Tamiya Flat black followed up by highlights of lightened Nato Black and German Gray were used for this phase of painting. Once this has had sufficient time to dry, I will mask it yet again for the black spine and some additional striping on the vertical stabilizer. The stars and bars will come last.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Coming together beautifully, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Looks really awesome, Carl!
    I admire your dedication and craftsmanship with respect to masking and painting instead of making use of decals. Top notch!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

This looks really nice, Carl @clipper
    Definitely masking at a very high level. Results are so much better than using decals.

• Profile Photo

Markings look really nice, Carl (@clipper), especially since they are painted rather than decals. I think I need to practice some more on my wife's die cut machine. The results certainly are worth the effort.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Spiros (@fiveten), Alfred (@alfred), John (@johnb), and George (@gblair), the masking is turning out mostly okay. The effort is probably more than decals, but it is unmatched in the ability to show surface detail and to allow tailoring the paint to match the weathering. I am particularly, pleased with how the bird motif came out. The only thing I have to do to that is place a small grey dot where the eye will be on the bird. The vinyl cutter did manage to cut this tiny circle, but there was no way to get it to transfer properly to the model. I reasoned it would be simpler to just do a small dot to get the same effect.

• Profile Photo

After days of painting, masking, more painting, and fixing up small paint issues, this photo has post it notes showing the painting still to be done. I'm getting there, but it's taking time because I want to give a few hours of paint drying time before masking for the next session. Not included on these notes are the Bullpup and sidewinder missiles that also need to be assembled and painted.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Like your usage of the post-it notes during the build process.
    I sometimes tend to forget things in between sessions, so I think I’m going to follow your example.
    Great job BTW!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

A nice approach using those post-its, Carl @clipper
    Looking forward to the final painting steps.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Alfred (@alfred) and John (@johnb). I have been an ardent believer in lists forever and I usually use them for building and painting. However, I've had to make so many adjustments to the process on this build, that the post notes work better than the lists. The acrylic shelves are a convenient place to put these notes, especially since I transitioned to building models while standing.

• Profile Photo

Excellent progress and I Iove your way of keeping notes, my friend @clipper!

• Profile Photo

More progress on the Fury. Most of the major painting is done. I still have to do Corogard on the leading edges, white in the wing folds, steel on the gun panel, and some touch up work on a few areas where the masking wasn't perfect. I'll tell you this. Masking can give nice options for weathering and showing surface detail, but it is a lot of work and I am ready to move on.

• Profile Photo

Your work painting this Fury is amazing, Carl (@clipper). Absolutely nothing looks better than markings that are painted on. Well done. It always seems like the last few bits always take the longest. Looks like you are having a productive Memorial Day. Lest we forget.

• Profile Photo

Looks really wonderful, my friend @clipper! Nothing better than paintef markings!