Representing the Naval Side - FJ-4B Fury

Started by Carl Smoot · 163 · 3 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Painting is absolutely beautiful, Carl @clipper
    This way the markings do definitely look better than if you would have used those shiny decals.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks George (@gblair), Spiros (@fiveten), and John (@johnb).

I agree George, the last part of the model always takes 90 percent of the effort. It's okay, sometimes I grumble, but it is hobby and if I didn't want to do it, I could always stop. Fact of the matter is, I love the end results as this is by far the best way for me to get copies of the aircraft I have always been fascinated with. So the extra effort is worth it to me, even if at times my emotions let a choice word or two slip out. 🙂

As for masking versus decals, I like both approaches. Decals tend to be somewhat crisper because there are no masking issues to deal with and for the same reason, usually easier. Masking can be challenging when the underlying surface is covered in bumps and grooves and such. And of course, some things are just not possible using masks, at least with the tools I have currently.

Masking gives me options , especially if it's a lesser known scheme or the decals are not available. IN the case of this model, the only way I could have gotten these markings other than masking would have been to find and purchase a complete Matchbox Fury kit (if I could find one) and pay a large sum of money for it. And then there would be no guarantee it would fit the Trumpeter kit.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 3 weeks ago:

Hi Carl (@clipper): I have dabbled in using masks for markings, as well as borrowing my wife's die cut machine to make my own, but I am not very comfortable doing either. I think these are some of those skills that get better with practice. You have obviously been practicing a lot, because your painting markings look great.

• Profile Photo

Actually George (@gblair), this is only my third model with masks. I think I had my best results so far with my A-20 build last year. I learned a few hard lessons on the F-80 build prior to that which I had to completely re-do when that was finished last year. The first effort was printed on high tack adhesive vinyl. So I am still learning the ropes. Thankfully, there are lots of videos on YouTube to help with the software and cutting issues.

• Profile Photo

I am amazed that you are new to painting your markings, Carl (@clipper). I have all the stuff to do it, so I just need to do the work to get better at it and get comfortable doing it.

• Profile Photo

No Fury work yesterday. I had to take a break from it after all the masking sessions. I did do something modeling related however. I am starting to research and prepare for the ship build. Since I haven't built a ship model in over 55 years, I need to get up to speed on how it's done these days. And although I have a general knowledge about military ships, my technical knowledge is far less than it is with aircraft. So it is going to be challenging to know what to look for when looking at references. Which ship is it? Well, that will remain unknown for the moment until I am ready to start a build thread. However, I will say that it is a 20th century military ship and not a sailing ship.

Today, however, I have to return to working on my real "Ship", my cabin cruiser, as I have parts I've been waiting for. I will probably be able to get some work done on the Fury later today.

• Profile Photo

I love ship models, Carl (@clipper). I am ready to set sail on the build. What scale will the new project be? I almost ended up in the Navy after college, but decided to fly instead. And a 1:1 cabin cruiser, wow. Any kind of real boat takes a lot of time to maintain.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

When I went to bed last night, I thought I had completed the main painting on the Fury. Of course, with tired eyes, I missed something that became noticeable when I took these photos. Still a bit more touch up to do. Sigh! Pulling the foam out of the nose intake also revealed a bit of touch up needed there including a portion of the nose radome. And I still need to paint the wing folds a primary color and detail paint them. 😐

Anyway, the Corogard leading edges were painted with Tamiya Flat Aluminum, the steel gun panels were painted with Gunze Super Metallic Stainless Steel, and I spent a bunch of time doing touch up around the stars and bars. That touch up work required a considerable amount of masking because there are four colors to deal with (red, blue, white, and Light Gull Gray).

And George (@gblair), the ship will be 1/350 scale.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

To me she looks perfectly fine already, Carl @clipper

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hi, Carl (@clipper). Looking forward to your ship build. 1/350 is a great scale to work on. I have several 1/350 ships that I have never started building, but perhaps soon. The ships I have build in the last couple of years seem to be the old Revell/Monogram ships that were all around 1/500. I still can't get over how well your masked markings look on this plane. I am in awe. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks excellent, my friend @clipper! Ah, those never ending touchups 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks John (@johnb), George (@gblair), and Spiros (@fiveten)

The touch ups are done. I still need to do the wing folds and assemble and paint the missiles. But the end is starting to be in site. Of course, there will be weathering and the serial number decals to deal with.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Nearing the finish line I believe this is going to be a stunning build, Carl!

• Profile Photo

Up on its feet!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

She looks great on her feet, Carl @clipper