Digital Figure Sculpting

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 117 · 1 month ago · 3d modeling, 3D printing, 3d sculpting, digital, figure, sculpting
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 month, 1 week ago:

OK, I think the modeling/sculpting is complete. Now to cut it up with keys for assembly. I probably need to come up with instructions, or at least number the parts so it makes sense as to how they go together.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 month, 1 week ago:

@brithebuilder ok so forgive the ignorant question but you did all this with 3D printer and designed with software? I’m amazed! Fantastic work

• Profile Photo

@bikequeen - Hey Cricket, not a bad question at all. It's not printed yet. This is all still in the software program called ZBrush. It will be cut up into smaller pieces within ZBrush still and then 3D printed. And thank you. It definitely turned out better than I thought it would. It's been a long time since I really did anything that I'd call art.

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 1 month, 1 week ago:

@brithebuilder Definitely qualified as art! Beautifully executed

• Profile Photo

@bikequeen - Thanks Cricket! I appreciate that.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Wow. Very impressive result, Brian @brithebuilder.
    I just checked out Zbrush Central and was blown away by what this software is capable of.

• Profile Photo

@eb801 - Thanks Eric. I'm honestly still impressed with myself for doing it. It's been a long time since I believed I could produce anything this good. ZBrush is an amazing piece of software. There are so many artists out there who completely kick my butt on every level and have far less experience than I do. It's very humbling and very inspiring.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

I'm wondering how you will separate all this in various parts, Brian @brithebuilder
    Some instructions to put it back together would definitely be helpful.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - I can create an object in ZBrush to act as the parting line which will both cut the negative and create the positive. It's called a Boolean object, so it will take some time to figure out the best locations to make all the cuts, but this process should ensure the pieces go back together accurately. I'll post a couple pics of the process... hopefully very soon.

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 1 month, 1 week ago:

The anatomy of the figures is just perfect. Super impressive work.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 1 week ago:

Looks really awesome, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

@coondog - Thanks Matt. I was referencing body builders, anatomy charts and a figure from anatomy tools. I've always loved anatomy studies. Sounds weird saying it that way, but hopefully everyone understands what I'm saying.

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros! I will be recording the ZBrush work when I do future projects. I do need to buy a new computer to be able to sculpt and record at the same time though.

• Profile Photo

A couple images of how the Boolean process will work. The cutter object will be 'subtracted' from the body object. It will leave a tapered square cavity in the torso and a tapered square peg in the hips. The benefit of setting it up this way is that the positive and negative will be made at the same time, so the alignment when assembling should be perfect.

You can see there's another one in the leg. The seam for that one is hidden under one of the straps. The axe arm seam is hidden by the bicep ring thing. The shield arm will have a visible seam, but it should be simple enough to fill the slight gap. So Conan himself will be separated into 5 pieces. That should be good for printing... I hope

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 1 week ago:

That's an interesting approach which will work perfectly, Brian @brithebuilder

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Thanks John, I wish I could claim it as my idea. It seems to be a pretty normal way to do this stuff.