Can we talk about stashes once again?

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 58 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Alan Li said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Wow George...your garage looks more like a small-size local hobby shop!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

You are right, Alan (@Akcli2008). My wife often tells me I could open my own hobby shop. A new development in my stash is that we are moving to a new house. So I have packed up almost everything and put them into storage until we move. I left a few kits out to build while we are waiting for the new house to be built, but we should be moving in August. It was painful to pack them all up, but I will visit my "kids" again soon.

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 2 years, 8 months ago:

When I got back into the hobby in Christmas 2019, I had about 10 kits I hung on to from when I was active (around 2005). They were mostly Dragon 1/48 and some Hasegawa and Tamiya Japanese planes in 1/48. At that time I decided to build only Japanese planes, mostly in 1/48, some 1/72 (twin engine) and 1/32 (the new tool Hasegawa kits). My reasoning is that I could focus my attention on a specific subject that I've been fascinated with for years, and it would limit the stash since there is a limited supply of Japanese kits out there.

I currently have about 70 kits in the stash consisting of all of Tamiya's 1/48 Japanese kits (this isn't much, sadly), most of Hasegawa's 1/48 kits (save for an early Ki-61, and a late George (N1K2) and a trainer Zero), all 1/32 Hasegawa, and a handful of Fine Molds and Eduard (Ki-115). So while the stash is large, I intend to build each kit because they mean something to me.

As a bonus, I do not need to buy a wide variety of paints, so really (I tell myself) I'm saving myself money.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

That's a grown, great stash, my friend @wkubacki!
    The Empire of Japan GB eagerly awaits your entries!

• Profile Photo
    Colin Latta said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I've been building and collecting for 50 years now (far more collecting than building, unfortunately). Like has been said previously, when I had the money and inclination, I just didn't have the time to build. Now I'm retired and have the time, I would have to live to 400 to get through my stash!

Each and every kit was purchased with the full intent of building it, had specific plans for each one, and most often were "great deals" that you just couldn't pass up. But they just keep producing newer and better kits! I don't know what will eventually happen to my stash, but I do know that it still gives me pleasure having it, and I could have worse habits, I'm sure!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

70 is a number which is something I'm wishing for to be my stash, Woody @wkubacki

Good to see that you have enlarged your stash in such a short time.

@tail-dragon, That is an impressive storage Colin, you have even more kits in stash than most of the local shops here. It really looks like modellers heaven.

• Profile Photo
    Woody Kubacki said 2 years, 8 months ago:

@tail-dragon Oh wow, those Dragon kits really bring back memories. When I was younger I would always look at the boxart down at Uncle Bill's in Calgary, and dream about buying them. You can send your Japanese stuff down to me, I'll pay shipping, haha.

@johnb It's gotten a little out of hand but there aren;t really any more kits out there that I want to buy, unless Tamiya or Hasegawa (crossed fingers) starts releasing new tool kits, then I'll have to add them to my collection.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 5 months ago:

After looking at the photographs in this posting, I decided my few kits isn’t much of a backlog after all . I’m not sure I’ll ever get them all built though . I’m doing good to get 5 or 6 built in a year. Seems like I buy at least that many more in a year. Sometimes I give some kits away just to thin out the collection. Not too many people enthused about old kits in my circle of friends or acquaintances.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Nice stash I have to say, land air sea, all is there.
    I also try to keep the stash balanced.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

A beautiful stash, my friend @ssgt!

• Profile Photo

Thanks @johnb & @fiveten... I’ve been getting burned out on aircraft, so I thought I’d try other subjects... after I finish this Japanese destroyer I’ve got going, I’ll start the Tiger tank or the Zvezda armored car , both seem like very nice kits.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 5 months ago:

With new kits arriving almost on a weekly basis some might say that our stashes will continue to expand 🙂
    Personally, there is the ever growing price tag of these new kits that just turnes me into a very rationale and less impulsive about reaching for my wallet. There are exceptions, but I tend to buy 3 or 4 max per year lately. Still my stash doesn’t seem to shrink…

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Pedro, @holzhamer, the price tag on some of these new kits is very high, and makes me definitly gun shy on buying kits, knowing I have so many already on the shelf waiting to be built. That said, I went to IPMS Nationals, and broke my years long moritorium on purchasing new kits and came home with seven new kits and various after market accessories. Plus I have a friend who just sent me five more kits. I am thinking I need to start a 12 Step Program for my Styrene Addiction.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 5 months ago:

@luftwaffe-birdman
    Lol - Yeah Walt, I guess most of us suffer from that styrene addiction, it’s a mental disease alright, and one that takes a lot of room in the house 😉

• Profile Photo

The prices of new release kits is what keeps me shopping at the consignment table at the LHS. Sometimes you get a good deal , but even those older kits often are over priced.