Can we talk about stashes once again?

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 58 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 5 months ago:

You are right, Jay (@ssgt). The price of new kits has caused me to rethink what I buy. It needs to be something really special before I will lay out the money for a new kit. The prices have also caused me to downsize to 1/72 on new models, since they are usually less expensive than larger scales. Many of the companies, like Revell, Hasegawa, Dragon, etc, are re-releasing previously released kits at much higher prices. I have a stash that will keep me busy till I die, and still have kits left over. I find I am buying old Monogram and Revell kits from dealers like Rareplane Detective or on consignment, but the prices there are starting to go up in these places also. I have had pretty good luck on Ebay recently, but you need to really be careful because the prices really vary for a specific kit. The postage on Ebay can also wildly vary. I suspect many modelers are turning to consignments and old kits to reduce the cost of building. I know Rareplane Detective used to have many online pages of Monogram and Revell kits, but are now down to just one or two pages each. Consignments are still my source for decently-priced kits, and model shows will be another good source when they overcome the pandemic drought. The good news is that, as we see daily on iModeler, that builders can take an old kit and make it look awesome.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 5 months ago:

I have to admit to using eBay alot also George, @gblair, for accessories especially, but I have to say I LOVE going to the table at Rareplane Detective at the shows. By far most of the money at nationals I spent was at their table, and have also perused their online store at eBay. That said, I am not out to buy anything...but I am up for trades! Would be nice to have that ability on this site.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Good idea, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). I have to admit to buying a lot of kits I don't really need on Rareplane and consignments. Trading stuff on iModeler would truly be limited by postage rates. In the US it wouldn't be too bad, but a couple of years ago I was sending a medium-sized model to a friend in Europe and it cost $90. Now I understand why the postage is so high on some of the stuff you see on Ebay.

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years, 5 months ago:

This is such an interesting discussion. Just a few days ago i was contemplating buying the latest Airfix kits while they were still available and suddenly, while looking at my stash of about 25 kits, i realised that i was not happy anymore. It's become an obsession having the latest kits and i wondered if other model makers experienced the same. Therefore, it was good to read all the post and to see how people handle the issue or perhaps don't even consider it an issue.

As for me, i clearly want to build the kits i have bought since i got back into the hobby at the beginning of the year. No more new kits, i don't have to have them all.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Felix, one of the things that helps curbing my enthusiasm into buying the latest new kit is precisely the act of contemplating the few dozens of boxes in the stash. It helps getting me in a more rational mood 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Felix said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Dear Pedro, i was thinking exactly the same the other day while looking at the Airfix P40s i have! I looked at them and told myself to think about all the fun i was going to have building them instead of looking around and worrying about kits i thought i need to have.

I clearly want to avoid being sad again because of a compulsion i might experience while doing something that should be fun. And since i do not want to drop this beautiful hobby again, i have to find another way. Too bad i am not that good with rationale thinking 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Well, the general rule in modeling (and in life) is: if something makes you happy (and not harming others or yourself 🙂 ), then go your way and by all means go for it, my friend @fxrob!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Those are very wise words, Spiros @fiveten.
    Fully agree.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Thanks for kind words, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 5 months ago:

@fiveten well said, in short: It's a hobby!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Everybody sooner or later realizes that that kit they "just had to have" turned out not to be that kit. Sell what you later decide wasn't a good idea. There is no reason whatsoever to force oneself to do something they don't like, when it's just a darn hobby.

• Profile Photo
    George Henderson said 2 years, 5 months ago:

I've got about 100 in the stash and quit buying kits about 2 years ago. I bought them for my retirement years when money won't be as plentiful but I do still drool when the new kits get released. I now buy modelling tools and supplies

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 5 months ago:

@blackadder57 - George, you really owe it to yourself to get at least one each of the new Eduard kits, since they're "definitive".