I need help finding these decals

Started by Gary Brantley · 9 · 8 months ago · IDF decals, Israeli Air Force 1956, Israeli Mosquitos
  • Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Hello friends, I'm currently building the 1/48 Monogram Mosquito and I'd like to do an Israeli bird, circa Operation Kadesh in 1956. Isradecal has produced the exact set I need, but it's no longer in production. I've sent them a message asking if they would consider releasing it again but alas, no reply so far.

This is the decal set that I need, Isradecal #72-1:

If anyone knows of a source for this set, please send me a PM. I would be very grateful and if I have another kid, I'll probably name it after you. 😁
    Thanks for any help, my friends!
    Gary

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Glad to see your back to building something! Is this the first build since the Bulldog?

Have you emailed IsraDecals yet? I have had good luck with doing that with many modeling outfits who always have something on shelve in the back room. Have fun with this one, Gary, @garybrantley. And put on some tunes.

• Profile Photo

Hey dude! Good to hear from ya! Yes, first model work since that build and wouldn't you know, I picked a difficult to pull off scheme. Yes, I did email them last week or the week before; well, I sent them a message through their website's contact page. I sure wish they would produce that set again. I'll nag them some more in a few days.
    I'm just doing this old 1965 kit strictly OOB. Man, it's tough to not add more stuff or modify the problems there! I do have some spare Star of David roundels but they aren't the style used in 1956 and the scheme I chose. And, I need the specific unit badge and some white stenciling in Hebrew. Ya got an ALPS printer by any chance? πŸ˜„ I may need one to finish this bird.

This just a profile for some skins, I believe, but it's the look I'm after:

The tunes are always on! 😁

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

How hard these decals are to come by, I vote for the purchase of a 1/48 Tamiya Mosquito kit just to be deserving these decals.

Closest I have found is some decal company I have never heard of listed on Hannants.co.uk that has One IAF Mosquito on this sheet - https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CA48096

• Profile Photo

David @kahu, I've considered that path; this ancient Monogram kit is rife with issues but I've had it for years and thought this would be a quick, OOB build. πŸ™„ Shows what I know! πŸ˜„

Thanks for that link. πŸ‘ I can't remember seeing that set at Hannants, I'll keep that in mind for an option. 😊

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Would be nice if you are able to get this set, Gary @garybrantley
    A Mosquito in Israeli scheme is not that often seen.
    Hope you will be able to find it soon.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Good luck finding these decals, Gary (@garybrantley). I did a quick spin through my internet sources and came up empty. I always seems I get a great idea for markings right after you can't get the decals anymore.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Can you print them on decal paper and cut them out? What is the best resolution you have on digital format? @garybrantley

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen! John @johnb, you're so right! It is a somewhat unusual scheme, I hope I can pull it off somehow. πŸ™‚ George @gblair, that was also my result after a bunch of different searches. I should've thought this one up ten years ago! πŸ˜‰ And yes, Michel @michel-verschuere, I've certainly considered that approach. I don't even have a working printer at this point, but I did have success printing my own decals many years ago. Almost all of the decals on this "what if" build were printed at home:

Confederate States Air Force Mirage F-1
    One issue I can see is the white stenciling. I'm not sure how they can be printed outside of an ALPS printer or similar. I do appreciate your suggestion! 🍺