My dilemma

Started by Paul Wilsford · 16 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 7 years, 3 months ago:

It has been quite a while since I have posted any completed builds here. I don't know why. I have been burned out a couple of times and have come around to build something here and there but nothing that I would consider worthy to put here. I have plenty to do as most of my stash is already started and sitting in my closet waiting to be completed. I cant for the life of me figure out why I do this but some how I have this sneaking suspicion that I am not alone in this.

This is getting dangerous for the kits that I really want to finish because in my attempt to put away a fairly in depth HK 1/32 Mosquito in the closet managed to break of the landing gear and some other things. I didn't want to rush it because I feared breaking it or ruining the build in some way or the other. Talk about frustrating.

Most of my stuff is in the closet because I made some mistakes and haven't figured out how to remedy those. I began to start thinking ( a dangerous practice) that maybe I am doing too many involved high tech kits. A lot of which go well for a while and wind up later in the build where something is glaringly out of place or hosed up.

I am thinking now that modeling is no longer fun for me but beginning to be a chore. So I have decided to maybe go with something fun and a whole lot less complex. Only I don't have any idea where to go. Revell/Monogram B-something or another from the late 60's or 70's? Well my search goes on and to tell you the truth I am kind of pumped about it. Maybe I will produce something that I can post with out feeling inadequate...

The hunt begins.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 3 months ago:

I'm sort of in that same place for different reasons. Although I don't have what most consider a "stash" (like maybe a dozen or so), I haven't had the motivation nor the inclination to fondle any plastic - and haven't for quite a few months. Long story...

As to YOUR dilemma, you may want to 'break the ice', as it were, by selecting a kit with very few parts & pieces - like a missile or even a snap-tite kit. If ya want, I can send you some 48th scale pilot figures to paint 'cause I suck at it. LOL

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 7 years, 3 months ago:

Hey Paul ,before I added a comment I had a look at your gallery and I have to say your work is very good but if you're not in the mood for building models then leave it alone is my advice,read a few books ,get your garden straight or some other thing you've been meaning to do for ages your building mojo will come back sooner or later,if you force yourself into it you'll just end up hating it.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Christian Ristits said 7 years, 2 months ago:

I like your models you posted here but if you feel you need a break - just have one! You cant be creative at all the time...sometimes I need a break of 4 weeks between two builds, and I dont think that it is unnormal. Its still a hobby and you should do it with pleasure, so dont put too much pressure on it, your stash will wait for you 😉

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Paul, I feel your pain, but I might have a suggestion. I don't know what scale you prefer, but if you have any old Matchbox kits in your stash, or can find some, have a go at one of those. They're not horribly complicated, have some interesting subjects, fit is usually pretty good and you can make some nice looking models from them without a lot of fuss or effort.

When I get the block, I just walk away for a while until the urge hits me again. I stopped adding to the stash because I have more kits than I know what to do with, so I don't buy new models unless it's something I think I'm going to start right away. Like Christian said, it's a hobby, it'll be there when you return for it.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 7 years, 2 months ago:

I share similar sentiments Paul, it`s a hobby and in that case it should be fun.
    Take time out, relax, do something else, the urge may re-appear.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 7 years, 2 months ago:

I have a hard enough time with 32 scale ones, Craig, let alone 48 ones.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 7 years, 2 months ago:

An old matchbox kit sounds like fun.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Like everyone else has stated, if the mood isn't there, walk away from it for a while. I have found out the hard way about this. If I don't feel creative I have more of a tendency to mess things up.

Try reading a book about a particular plane that you like or go online and do some research on a plane that you really like. That is how I get a lot of my inspiration for builds.

This could help you get motivated again as well.

As far as a model is concerned, I like the simple 1/48 scale Monogram kits. They are readily available and you won't break the bank trying to purchase one.

Stick with a simple single engine plane that has an easy paint scheme. Build it out of the box and don't go crazy trying to over detail it.

Before you know what happened you will have a nice simple relaxing plane finished.

That's how I have dealt with burn out before. It worked for me and hopefully can help you out too.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 7 years, 2 months ago:

That's good advice from Louis...take heed, my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Paul, great advice. I'd say try something totally different from what you usually do. Ship, tank, railroad car or building, figure. Something simple but gratifying.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 7 years, 2 months ago:

I think Paul is just suffering typical modeler syndrome. I just did a count of projects I have WIP. 15 in total. Three are painted and half decaled. I screwed up my Toko Ri Panther by putting the wrong "209" on the flap, so now I don't have it for the nose. Need to find some 1/48 white numbering for that. My Javelin just need the rest of the decals put on. I need to find some appropriate sized N numbers for my Hughes 500. My B-29 is about 90%, would be done if I hadn't started foiling it. The rest are close to paint. The order of completion in no way reflects the order of commencement of the build! I think we all want to move on to the next kit before the last one is finished, especially if the previous one is fighting back! Don't take it to heart Paul, it happens to most of us! Also don't worry about posting stuff, it isn't a contest here. Just remember that you model to suit your own tastes, not ours, but it is great that this site exists and is so positive so that we can all share! (Thanks Martin!)

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Yes I think that Josh hit the nail on the head with his comments. He has spoken for me too as I have quite a few models not completely done on my bench.

For example I have the new Tamiya Panther D completely built and painted with Dunkelgelb Dark yellow, but have not decided what camouflage pattern and turret numbers to use. I want to build a tank from the Kursk battle with it.

Next is a Dragon/ DML M-26 Pershing tank that is buildand painted. I wanted to make it like one of the tanks my Dad served in when he was in the Korean War. Now it looks like the Company and Platoon numbers are wrong and the tracks have been fighting me so I just left it alone. (For about two years now).

Then I have a M-60 A1 tank that is built, painted / camouflaged and numbered just like a tank that I served in. I need to weather it and add some more details on the search light. It may possibly take a few more days and then it will be done. I just lost inspiration at the last minute so I sat it down.

Then I have my King Tiger, Panzer II, Hanomag Half Track, Panzer IV, Sherman, Lee, & Stuart tanks almost done. They just need me to add the final details and dirty them up some so they look realistic.

With aircraft I have been trying to get the last three done. I'm currently working on the Accurate Miniatures TBF Avenger and the AMT A-20 which coincidentally has a bare metal foil finish on it too. Plus I have a 1/48 Heinkel He-111 mostly built but not painted.

As stated above this is something that you should do to your own personal liking. I'm not judgmental about anyone else's builds here. Build it so you like it and don't worry about what anyone else thinks. I think that 99 percent of us here on Imodeler feel this way. That's why I post my stuff here. It's a fine group of people.

Another great model to build is the early Tamiya offerings. The ones that list for less than $20. They build well and are not too complicated. They look really good when finished too. I meant to say something about them in an earlier post.

Hang in there buddy. Something will come to you when you are ready.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Stevenson said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Hi Paul, I see from your gallery that you build mostly aircraft. In times of 'modellers block' why not build a target - erm sorry ! I mean tank or AFV, maybe even a soft-skinned jeep or something? Like Louis said above, build something different to what you're used to. The 'beauty' of tanks is that you can leave them at any time & just go back at 'em when you feel an 'Armour Moment' coming on. 🙂

When I hit a hiatus on aircraft kits & have several started, (still do!) I generally slap together a tank or whatever without paint - meaning just stick everything together - then just have a go at painting it with a 'hairy stick'!

No airbrush.

Then weather it in whatever fashion you see fit! - Anything goes really as it did in the real world, so the world really is your oyster!

A lot of armour was actually painted like this in real life so just try & enjoy and don't over-think yourself huh?

It's a very therapeutic way of easing back into things but the main thing is try & ENJOY it for the hobby that it is.

...And have fun!

• Profile Photo
    Charles Whall said 7 years, 2 months ago:

Glad I'm not the only one that gets like this! I am in a very similar position at the moment having moved house last year and the house had some major surgery (loft conversion) and lots of other stuff. I have not even been able to unpack any modelling gear, all builds are are still boxed 🙂 I'm thinking about projects and need something to get started after almost a year away from the bench!