1/72nd Fujimi F-4G Gulf War, USAF

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 23 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 7 years, 11 months ago:

Nice to see the last US F-4 to see combat,.looks good .I think Valom makes F-101 a&c in 1/72.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks Robert, it was in fact there is an excellent book out called "Magnum" written by an F-4 "wild weasel" pilot who flew the last combat missions in the F-4G during the Gulf War in 1991. Available on Kindle, Amazon. Yes Valom does offer the A & C model F-101, quite pricey though. Don't know much on the fit or any reviews on the kit.

• Profile Photo

The weapons arrived a couple of days ago in the mail. From an outfit based in Canada, Modern Hobbies listed a set of AGM-88 Harms with pylons and also a set of AGM-65B Mavericks also with single launch pylons, so I wanted to configure the Phantom with this war load of a pair of Maverick's, HARMs, AIM-7 Sparrows and a center drop tank. Next I completed the ALQ-119 shallow pod and center drop tank. Next was to install the pylons under the wings and center mount for the drop tank. With that done, I wanted to go ahead and mask off the canopy using the EZ mask set and airbrush flat black on the framing and the nose of the F-4. And that is it for now. Next time seam cleanup, and prepare to paint. Thanks for viewing.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good - I like that weapons load for a Phantom. Since my dad flew in 67 with AF birds, was mostly iron bombs and gun pod, so that's all I'd built to date. I'm definitely going to do a Weasel!

• Profile Photo

Looking forward when you get down on that weasel, you can even do a Vietnam era Phantom.

• Profile Photo

Quick up date. Today I just did the natural metal areas of the stabs and the tail cone of the Phantom. Using MM non-buffing steel and Buffing Gun metal for the area under the tail and exhaust. The one area that had some sink holes was also filled in along the spine. Next up I will do the stabs have them painted and put off to the side. Work on the rest of the weapons. June is here and we have a month left in the timeline. Thanks for viewing

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 7 years, 10 months ago:

Wow another month just like that is done, July is here so a little update. Finished the stabs airbrushing Lifecolor Gunship Grey 36118 top side, Polly Scale Dk Ghost Grey 36320 bottom color, MM non buffing steel and Gun Metal for the NMF to round off the painting. After removing the masking around the tail, it had removed some of the metalizer off the tail. Going to have to redo this. But first I went ahead and applied some preshading under the fuselage as well as some areas of the upper surfaces. At this time I also airbrushed the nose black and masked it off. Next applying Polly Scale 36320 Dk Ghost Grey on the undersurfaces, wing tips, tail and the forward section of the nose. Next applying Lifecolor 363118 Gunship Grey to on the center section of the wings and forward nose. Then over the top on the main fuselage completing the Hill II tutone grey scheme. Put it aside and let is sit for 24 hours and carefully mask off and reapply the natural metal portions that peeled off on the tail planes and around the tail.

Thats it for now.

10 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good!