Academy Plastic Model kit 1/48 USN F-4J VF-84 Jolly Rogers

Started by Thomas Sweeney · 23 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 8 years ago:

F-4C,D, and E were land based air force planes, while they retained the tail hook, they had no capability of launching from carriers, the B,J, N, and S were all US Navy types, The FGR.1[F-4k] was the Royal Navy version.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years ago:

The air force F-4s could use the hook in an emergency landing, with the runway barrier arrester system. The other difference between air force and Navy F-4s was the hooks for the steam catapault system.

• Profile Photo
    Thomas Sweeney said 8 years ago:

I've had it. I can't get it to work right so I brought a new Phantom model i hope I have better luck

Tom

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 8 years ago:

Ah yes the great Monogram J! This kit goes together well, it has some fit issues, but they are of the more common variety. One thing common to ALL USN F-4 kits except the Academy however, is the rear cockpit is 100% wrong, and the front is not quite right. It is based on an Air Force F-4C if I recall correctly. If you use the Academy kit as a guide you could scratch the rear cockpit if you are good at such things. Last time I built this kit I didn't bother and just built it with the canopy closed. Still these kits build into nice models. Sorry you had struggles with the Academy kit, I know lots of very good modelers have, I had a few, but not many. I did find it over engineered and the multi colored plastic is just annoying. I will tackle mine here soon once my Tamiya Mustang falls out of the box so I can paint it 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Thomas Sweeney said 7 years, 11 months ago:

I finally finished the flight deck and will finish the Phantom shortly. Here are some photos

Thnks for looking

Tom

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Thomas Sweeney said 7 years, 9 months ago:

It's finally done. not very good but done. this will the last plane that i will endure to make

thanks or looking

Tom

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 9 months ago:

Tom, congratulations! That's two done. The learning curve may seem insurmountable, all of us have been there. Flinging stuff against the wall! Stomping! All that Godzilla stuff.
    It gets easier, honest.
    Let it sit for a couple of days, and then go back and see if you can "improve" on a thing or two.
    Also, as one of the other guys on here says, IKWTEAAINT (roughly)" I know where the errors are, and I'm not telling". Apologies if I messed it up, good advice.
    Drive on! Eat the apple!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 7 years, 9 months ago:

Every model built improves us, and provides some time with the mind turned off and the hands and heart engaged! Great effort and a nice contribution to the group build!