My build will be Old Nick 204

Started by Rob Anderson · 10 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 8 years, 2 months ago:

I will need to take the 201 decals I have and make a 4, make the correct BuNo, and then I am not sure about the names on the canopy rails, but other than that straight forward build. I plan to throw some resin and PE at it. I like the weathering on this jet. If you look at the first picture of 204 bombing over Vietnam you can see some yellowish smudging. This is most likely yellow primer, and if you look at the second picture it looks as if the paint work has been complete. And just like models, matching grey paint is hard! Hmmm for some reason the first pic ended up being the second once I posted, either way you can see the difference.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 8 years, 2 months ago:

That's an excellent choice! I notice some markings on the centreline fuel tank. Was that standard on all VF 111 aircraft? I like that weathered look you are after. VF 84 aircraft looked rather pristine on the photos of the 1965 cruise. Will do subtle weathering on mine!

• Profile Photo

Centerline drop tanks on 111 aircraft seem to mostly have a red tip, I haven't seen these markings on other ones in the squadron. Assuming things were the same in the 60s and 70s as they were in my time (1986 - 2012) drop tanks were more often than not in a pool owned by the squadron and would be swapped out on occasion depending on load out or if the tank needed maintenance. And here is my VF 84 Phantom, I had to cobble the markings from several sheets when I built it. Of course Eduard put out a kit with these markings and extras about the time I finished it up!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

What a BEAUTY ! I am looking at building the same aircraft from the '65 cruise! I hope to dress her up with a centreline drop tank, 2 TER's with 3 bombs and 2 MER's with 3 bombs each. Would VF 84 have carried WW II era bombs or low drag bombs? Can't find photos of the '65 cruise to verify.

• Profile Photo

From what I have seen MK 82s (low drag like the ones on mine) are the standard loadout for Navy Phantoms during Vietnam. The only Navy aircraft I have seen from the era that carried WWII bombs were Skyraiders, and I think I recall seeing a picture of A-4s with them, but that would have been rare, WWII bombs had a blunt nose that would have severely slowed a jet down. Now Marine Phantoms carried a larger range of ordinance and some colorful schemes as well, so if a variety of weapons are what you want maybe look to a USMC Phantom. Here is a great Naval Aviation blog that has a ton on Phantoms

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/search?q=phantoms

• Profile Photo

Thanks Rob, your help is greatly appreciated! The reason I asked about the WW II era bombs is due to a photo I saw of USAF F 4's , still painted in gull grey and white, during the early years of the Vietnam conflict carrying these 'old' bombs. Seeing that the photo was dated 1965 and VF 84 served in Vietnam in that year the thought occurred to me that maybe they also used that type of ordinance. This was strengthened by seeing A 4's also carrying such bombs. However, I shall rather play it safe and use the MK 82's

• Profile Photo

No problem and yes keep weathering subtle. While there are certainly examples of Naval aircraft from Vietnam all the way to the current era having extreme weathering, in my experience it is rare, and one of the most often overdone techniques I see used on US Naval Aircraft. Naval aircraft are washed every 14 days and go through a 28 day corrosion cycle, part of which is painting as necessary (limited when out to sea). Also the Plane Captains spend a good deal of their time cleaning polishing and wiping down their birds. On "my" E-2C Hawkeye, Bear Ace 601, I tried to keep her spotless as I could given the environment, she had my name on the nose landing gear door and therefore reflected my standards. My experience was that all PCs share the same trait, including anger when someone gets hand prints and such on "their" bird!

• Profile Photo

Thank for the information! A clean F4B seems to be on the cards!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 8 years, 2 months ago:

Great choice - my favorite scheme on a naval Phantom - and I'm contemplating making this one my 2nd F-4 (although in 1/72)! Can't wait to see it done!

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 2 months ago:

Indeed a great choice ! happy modelling with that one.