Battle of France 1/48 Airfix Hurricane Mk I

Started by Rick Wilkes · 38 · 9 years ago · Battle of France
  • Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Looks good, and makes a great difference compared to the kit's landing lights.

• Profile Photo
    James Robert Feuilherade said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Yeah nice work Rick, great to see you getting the dihedral sorted, the Hurricane didn't have much but it was there. I've seen so many Airfix Hurricanes with wrong dihedral, due to the poor wing/fuselage fit. I built this kit many years ago and remember doing a lot of sanding and knife work to get the dihedral right. It seems to be a problem that also effects the Airfix 1/24 Hurricane. Saw one guy do a beautiful job building it but then had not fixed the wings, so there she sat, beautifully done but with drooping wings...! I think however the old Airfix 1/48 hurricane was basically well shaped and looks right when built. You are doing a great job on it!

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks James, I knew there was some dihedral, even though as you say not much. I think it was cleaning up the bad fit on the wing fuselage joint that Gregor warned me about that fixed the dihedral. I had to trim out so much plastic to eliminate the step, that pulling up on the wing tips was the only way to get a good joint at the root. Gotta like it when stuff gets fixed by accident..lol

• Profile Photo

Got some painting done last week. Hope to get the dark green done soon. I have a question about the camouflage pattern, should it have a hard or soft edge between colors. I've seen enough of each to think it could have been either.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 7 months ago:

I would go with a hard edge camo, just to keep the rivet counters happy.
    Most of the pics I have seen are of a hard edge .
    She is looking good mate.
    And I should add, a nice job on the lights too.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Hard edge for RAF camo in this scale. In 1/32 you may see it slightly feathered. Your showing us all up with the progress on 2 projects never mind one! Well done there.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Rick, you are certainly making good progress on your group build model, it puts me to shame, I keep getting distracted! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the finish product on October 31st.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Looking good, Rick. Now comes the fun part - the three hours of masking for the three minute paint job!

I read somewhere that the camo on the full scale airplanes was laid out with rubber masking mats, so there would have been a hard edge between colors. There are always exceptions, of course, notably those airplanes that were repainted in the field.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Great work on your Hurry too. Can t wait, to see the green camo on, a great inspiration.
    After starting to follow your build, i went on the attic, to those boxes full of stashed kits,
    get the old Airfixes out and taking a long look...
    Good work and happy modelling

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement.
    Jaime, you called it right 3+ hours to mask, 10 minutes to paint and clean up the equipment.
    I'll post more pictures tomorrow.

• Profile Photo

I enlarged the painting diagrams from the kit to 1/48 scale, then traced them onto Easy Mask low tack painters tape. Its very low tack which is why you see bits of Tamiya tape on some edges. As Jaime predicted that took about 3 hours.

Here's the Dark Green. I'll need to do some touching up but I'm happy with it. Total time from opening the paint to unmasking about 30 minutes.

BTW all the camo colors I'm using on this build are from my ever dwindling horde of Polly Scale Acrylics.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 7 months ago:

That looks "the business" Rick 🙂 What markings are you using?

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Great job on masking, Rick, thats perfect !

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Very nice Rick, great masking and finish.
    Keep it up mate.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Fan-damned-tastic! If there is one thing that can warm the cockles of my heart it is seeing a kit that is considered "sub par" by todays standards, turned into something that can hold it's own against the newer, high tech kits. Scale modeling at it's purest! Cry my a river on both your's and Jaime's masking woes though, I have to do the same as you both but in 1/32 scale.