1/48 Airfix Hawker Sea Fury FB.11

Started by George R Blair Jr · 102 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Aeromaster, Airfix, Eduard, Hawker, Sea Fury FB.11
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looking great with decaling in progress George.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Thanks, Erik (@airbum). Have a great new year!

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Great decaling job, my friend @gblair! Amazing what decal softener can do, I am sure the decals will snuggle down to every rivet.
    Your 2022 builds and modeling fellowship were, as in previous years, unsurpassed.
    Have a wonderful 2023 my friend!

• Profile Photo

I finished the decals and let them dry for 24 hours, then I lightly washed the plane to get rid of any leftover decal fluid, and let it dry for another 24 hours. I didn't want to use a gloss clear to seal the decals. I think gloss is too shiny on a scale model, so I created a semi-gloss by mixing equal parts of Tamiya Gloss and Flat, then thinning about 30% using Tamiya Lacquer Thinner. I put a smooth layer over the entire plane, and then let it dry for about 12 hours. I have done some of the detail painting of things like the canopy rails, pitot tube, and so on. A few more things to do, but getting close to the end. Everyone have a really good new year! Cheers.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Same to you, Spiros (@fiveten). I hope you and your family have a wonderful new year.

• Profile Photo

Closing the finish line, my friend @gblair! And looking superb already! I agree with your final shade.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Your own mixed coating did a very nice job, George @gblair
    The white accent on the framing of the canopy looks very nice.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fivetein) and John (@johnb). Happy New Year.

• Profile Photo

Finally done. I had Grandpa duty yesterday, so not much got done on the Sea Fury. Last steps were to add the gear doors, the arresting hook, and canopy. It was a fun build. I will eventually post to Headlines later today. Thanks for following along.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

She looks amazing on the headlines, George @gblair
    Thanks for sharing your progress in this thread.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for following along, John (@johnb). Now its Mustang time.

• Profile Photo

It is always a sheer pleasure to follow your builds, my friend @gblair, this one being no exception. Well done, once again. What a ride!