1/48 Hobbycraft Korean War Hawker Sea Fury

Started by Louis Gardner · 6 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 1 year, 1 month ago:

This is a kit I have been wanting to do for a long while now. I have had this kit in my stash for many years.

It's definitely not a new tool Airfix, or Eduard by any means.

Since our Korean War group will soon be winding down, I wanted to get busy with building this one. I entered this one primarily in the Korean War group, but it's also listed here as a dual entry to support Erik's Hawker 100th.

It's going to be a simple build, straight from the box.

Since I have had this Sea Fury in "Ye Olde Stash" for years, (and there's no better time than the present) I decided now was the time to get her done.

The decals still look like new, and there are only a few clear parts.

The fuselage parts...

followed by the wings.

The rest of the plastic is shown here.

I'm hoping this will be a quick and easy build. Likely most of the time will be spent on painting it. I want to build it as the box art plane. I'm fairly certain this Sea Fury scored a MiG-15 kill during the War.

The instructions are basic, and I'll be building the spinner / prop next.

Here's the "office"...

I trimmed some off the overall length of the pilot's joystick. It looked WAY too tall.

I'm not very informed as far as what the colors should be on this plane. I'm guessing the cockpit should be a very dark gray almost a black, and I also need to figure out what the correct color should be for the spinner.

I'm going to be building the plane shown on the box art.

From what I can tell, this one scored a MiG-15.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Good choice on the markings, Louis @lgardner. Despite the accuracy issues with this kit, HobbyCraft kits are always fun in the long run. I recall the kit prop is backwards and I think I replaced it with a BarracudaCast prop plus wheels. Oh, yeah... the cockpit...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Amazing entry, my friend @lgardner! Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

A great entry for sure, Louis @lgardner
    I have no experience with HobbyCraft myself, so I'm interested in what your experience will be on this one.
    Also surprised to see Dutch markings included as well.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 1 month ago:

Gonna look good in the boxart colors! (perhaps you even lured @johnb into a similar build of a dutch version 🙂 )

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 1 month ago:

@airbum, sounds like a perfect idea, Erik. Need to check if I can find one.