L.V.T.-1, a DB601 powered Hurricane, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 63 · 7 months ago · airbum, db601, Hawker, Hawker100, Hurricane, Yugoslavia
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Great progress indeed, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Already looks good, Eric (@airbum). I have some popcorn ready so I can watch you tackle the nose. Is this your most extensive conversion?

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 5 months ago:

It’s very impressive all the work you are putting into this conversion, Erik @airbum.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Thanks @johnb, @fiveten, @gblair and @eb801. when you are a 109aholic and wants to build a Hawker, it simply involves a lot of scratchbuilding, at least in 1/48, as the only kit on the market is a resin in 1/72. Of course it does not help that all plastic Mk.I’s are with metalclad wings.

Cutting and dryfitting.

I decided to cut the Ki61 fuselage!

Fortunately it is a spare “glass” fuselage in the box, so no harm to that kit.

A little sawing and fitting, and it is roughly there.

The Ki nose is actually just to get an idea of the shape, and get the exhausts adjusted to look right. I remembered that I did cut up a Eduard “Emil” some time ago, and dived into the spares to get the nose from that one too, in order to be able to get the exhausts right.

And as there is a new AM 3D printed set of exhausts for that one, a pair has been pressed into service in this conversion.

A lot of templates need to be made to build up the right shape of the nose, and I am considering to make a casting of it if interest exists. Do let me know if you would be interested in one, but I can not promise any will surface as it all depends on how this conversion turns out. Send a PM if I should give it a try.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Progressing very nicely, Erik @airbum
    A lot of test fitting will definitey help to get the best result in the end.
    Clearly a cool project to work on.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Indeed, this is really cool, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

Layers

The nose is being built in layers

Now both nose-halfs have been cut back, and the new shape is made by thick sheets of evergreen

It is a matter of making one half sheet, duplicating it for the other side, adding it with glue, taking a brake, and the story repeats itself.

This is going to take some time, but sooner or later it shall be ready

• Profile Photo

A great technique to finally come up with the correct shape, Erik @airbum
    Lots of debris but well worth the required work.

• Profile Photo

Truly amazing scratch building skills, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

Exhausting?

It is high time to align the exhausts

I have now cut off all the Ki.61 nose, and commenced to add some horizontal pieces.

These are made from 2mm Evergreen, but for such small areas it is rather difficult to cut.

Well, the shape is beginning to be there

and I have also started to cut and file the excess material to enable a closer fit on the remaining pieces.

cutting fitting and filing will continue for some time.

• Profile Photo

A continuous superlative job, my friend @airbum!
    Coming together!

• Profile Photo

Shape of the DB engine is definitely getting there, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo

Closer to a nose

Carving, dryfitting, filing, dryfitting, sanding, dryfitting, carving. . . . . .

Continous dryfittings to ensure I do not take off material that should have stayed

closer with each dryfit.

the only material cut off, that should have stayed in place, is . . . . my fingertip. . . . .so far so good!

• Profile Photo

Very nice work, Erik @airbum
    Quite some dusting required once the nose is finished.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 4 months ago:

That's what I call some serious scratch building, Erik @airbum. Very impressive. I gather you are wearing a mask?