L.V.T.-1, a DB601 powered Hurricane, 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 63 · 6 months ago · airbum, db601, Hawker, Hawker100, Hurricane, Yugoslavia
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Thanks @davem – and welcome to the party.

Wings

about to be cut off that is!

With the glue cured the tape came off, and the opportunity taken to show it with the far-from-finished nose dry-fitted

I also need to cut out a bit of the styrene to make room for the exhausts as they extend a bit further back

Now, where did I put that sandingstick?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Nicely progressing, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Another big surgery on the way, not much left from the original plastic, Erik @airbum
    Progressing nicely.

• Profile Photo

Thanks gents - even less plastic left now!

Oh no – the wings fell off!

OK, that was intentionally.

Having sanded most of a day, I needed to get some very visible progress, and out came the saw! As always, use the mirror-image to check the cut is straight.

With one wing off, I dry-fitted to check how much work would be needed

not a lot it turned out, so off went the other wing

and on a roll, the wings were superglued in place

followed by some filler – what a mess!

And more sanding will follow. . . . .

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 2 months ago:

It may be a mess now but once you clean it up it’s going to look perfect. Looking forward to the next step, Erik @airbum.

• Profile Photo

Amazing craftsmanship, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

Must have been a nervous moment to get that sawing started, Erik @airbum
    The fitting of the new wings does look quite nice.

• Profile Photo

Still some days left before I get to the bench again, so all the glue and filler will have a lot of time to cure before I go beserk with the sanding stick again 🙂

Actually the wings were surprisingly well-fitting, even though they were just a bit too narrow (probably a consequence of the form and resin shrinking a bit) but that can be remedied by some more filing. . .

• Profile Photo

More dryfitting on the LVT1 @davem, @gblair, @fiveten, @holzhamer, @johnb and @eb801 though not nearly as far as I expected as I had to take an extra shift at work this morning.

Oh my, it’s a nosesitter. . . .

With a massive engineblock and resinwings it is rather noseheavy.

The nose is very heavy, and it does make me think about the integrity of the undercarriage.

Of course it does not sit on the nose with some support at the undercarriage locations.

I think the shape is nearly where I want it.

Just needs a lot more styrenecard and LqS and sanding and stuff, but getting there.

next up I hope to have it primed – perhaps just one more dryfit perhaps, but it is slowly moving the right way

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 2 months ago:

This is some serious (and no doubt tiresome) conversion/scratch work Erik, I’m very impressed by your skill and will here. Besides some minor adjustments,I suppose some scribbing will follow no? Looking forward for the primer @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Ditto what Pedro said. That is some seriously impressive surgery you’ve done here Erik @airbum and it’s looking really good. You are fearless.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 2 months ago:

Looking great, Erik (@airbum). You look like a surgeon with your precise cuts on the wing. I have never worried about the landing gear on a 1/48 plane, but that block of resin looks really heavy.

• Profile Photo

A wonderful job so far, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo

A lot of work done so far, but it will end up in an exclusive model, Erik @airbum
    The wing connection looks smooth already, just like the DB nose.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 6 months, 1 week ago:

8 months has passed @holzhamer, @eb801, @gblair, @fiveten and @johnb, that is a lot of time (or a spring and summer of all work, no play), but today some visible progress had to be made. I suppose it should have been done some 6-7 months ago to let the glue cure?

Legs!

The LVT-1 got legs today – and exhausts.

Starting with the exhausts, I used LF-model printed exhausts for the Eduard Emil – as the lower part of the nose is from that plane

The plastic was also glued in place, to enable some more filling and sanding and filling and sanding and . . .

The legs were glued using Revell Contacta, as it is my experience it will cure nice and hard over time

and the nose dryfitted once again

With the photos taken it is onto the back again to let the undercarriage set.

It will once again get a lot of time to set properly.

next up some more filling and – you get the picture…