1/48 Kitty Hawk AH-1Z “Viper”

Started by David Kopielski · 29 · 8 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Some amazing progress, David @davids_models
    The Vallejo exhaust color looks very nice, added it to my wishlist as well.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent progress, my friend @davids_models!

• Profile Photo
    David Kopielski said 9 months, 1 week ago:

After six weeks the Viper now has paint on it. Once I added a few more details to the fuselage and mounted the gun turret I painted the base coat of the scheme. I used reference photos from the client rather than the paint guide of the kit. The kit scheme is very close to the actual aircraft. The major difference is the main rotor is half black and half grey and the line between the upper grey and lower grey is slightly different. I ten painted some of the details like the antennas, sensors, and formation lights.

One more issue I found on the kit is the Air Data Probe. This sticks up just forward of the cockpit. It consists of three parts, the pole, a junction and a round sensor. The instructions and the reference photos show the junction on the pole shaft. However the kit part does not have a hole in the center to slide onto the pole. I drilled a hole through it using a 0.5mm drill. Once in place the sensor points towards the rear of the aircraft. There is no mounting hole on the backside so using the same drill I made a small mounting hole as well. This coming week I will be applying the numerous decals as well as working on the canopy details.

You can see more photos and details from the start in my build log at: https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-ah-1z-viper/

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent progress, David @davids_models
    Reference from the client is definitely more trustfull than the paint guide.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 1 week ago:

Great progress, my friend @davids_models! I agree with our friend @johnb : pics of the real thing are always the way to go.

• Profile Photo
    David Kopielski said 9 months ago:

The seventh week of the Viper I applied all the decals for the scheme. The kit decals are very good. The decals laid down and conformed to the surface with just the decal set. Once the decals had dried I sprayed a light coat of matte clear coat to seal the decals. I then used some light grey and medium grey chalk to add some weathering along the fuselage. I then added the clear lights. One thing the kit did not provide was a clear lens for the tail navigation light. I trimmed off the molded section and replaced it with a clear lens. I then added some photo etch details to the top of the canopy. I checked the fit of the canopy top and it will need some minor sanding on the front underside to meet the fuselage.
    I then started to assemble the weapons. The 70mm HAP’s, LAU-68’s, and the Hellfire’s went together very well. The AIM-9 missiles had some mold marks that needed to be filled with putty. I also trimmed off the nose to make my own sensor heads using acrylic gel. Once the weapons are completed I will install all the panels and the rest of the canopy. I need to work on mounting the main rotor as it needs to be removable for shipping later. I am hoping to have this completed in a week or two.

You can see more photos and details from the start in my build log at: https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-ah-1z-viper/

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months ago:

Some more great progress done, David @davids_models
    Looks beautiful.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months ago:

Excellent progress indeed, my friend @davids_models!

• Profile Photo
    David Kopielski said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

As the eighth week closes on the Viper I finished all the weapons and have them mounted onto the fuselage. The kit does not supply decals for the assorted weapons. I had some spares for the rocket launchers and the Hellfire missiles but no decals for the AIM-9’s so the stripes were had painted.

From the last update I received many questions on the paint colors used. The kit painting instructions call out to use FS36270 Neutral grey for top and FS3495 Light Grey for lower part of the fuselage. These colors are not the correct colors for a U.S. Marine AH-1Z. I have a copy of the MIL-STD 2161C which is the official Military standard for painting and markings of U.S. Navy and Marine aircraft. There is a website called “Everyspec” ( http://everyspec.com/MIL-STD/MIL-STD-2000-2999/MIL-STD-2161C_49692/ ) that you can download this document as a PDF. It should also be noted that they have TO 1-1-4 which is the USAF aircraft painting and marking document as well. Anyhow, The MIL-STD calls out FS35237 Medium Grey on the top and FS36375 Light Ghost Grey for the lower part of the fuselage and these are the colors I used on this build.

I then started to polish and paint the side panels of the canopy. On the canopy panels that open there is a spot to attach the handles. I looked over the instructions and there is no reference that tells you to install the handles. It should be noted in step 16 or 21. Step 20 does not show the handles installed but step 21 does in the illustration. The parts are included on the tree. They are parts D32 and D33. I used some canopy glue to attach them. I need to review the reference photos for where the supports go on all the open panels and then I can install the panels and then finish mounting the main rotor to finish this build over the next week.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Awesome job on the weapons, my friend @davids_models!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Those arms look really impressive, David @davids_models

• Profile Photo
    David Kopielski said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Nine weeks and the “Viper” has been completed! All of the panels and canopy doors have been installed. I used 30 gauge wire for the supports on the panels. On the canopy doors I used black sleeved wire and stripped half of it so it look like the compression supports. I did a little more weathering on the inside and outside of the panels. The next thing I did was to remount the weapons. The kit instructions have you mount two rocket launchers and the Hellfire’s under the wing. The problem is the “Z” only has three hard points instead of four. A fellow modeler pointed this out and the client also noted it as well.

For the main rotor I trimmed off the plastic links and replaced them with black 28 gauge wire. This allows the rotor to be removed and installed easily. This is for shipping reasons. With the main rotor finished this also finished this build.

The kit itself was a decent build with only some minor issues as noted during the build. The fit was very good. The instructions were in a good assembly order but had some parts not shown like the canopy handles. The paint schemes use the incorrect colors as well. It does build into a nice looking helicopter.

I will be packing this up today once the brass nameplate arrives and then ship it out. The client already has the display case for it. Thank you for following along. Happy modeling!

You can see all the photos and details from start to finish in my build log at: https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-ah-1z-viper/

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Truly fantastic, David @davids_models
    She looks perfect on the headlines and I'm sure your friend will love the result.
    Thanks for sharing the progress in this thread.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent result, my friend @davids_models!