More posting problems

Started by Rob Anderson · 30 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Ok I tried this morning from home, no joy. I tried on break here at work and first I did not even see my article. I went to my blog, found it and successfully added a comment! Then my article re-appeared on the feed on page 2. Now I use a Macbook at home and a PC at work, but I have never had a problem with either before. When I get home if I have time tonight I will try commenting on a thread using my Macbook and see how it goes!

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 8 years, 4 months ago:

I was able to post, but all my paragraph indents went away. (I do know how to use them, honest!)

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Ok I tried from home on my Mac, no joy nothing nadda ๐Ÿ™

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 4 months ago:

I have not now (nor have I ever) encountered any issues in posting, commenting, editing or any other function(s) associated with iModeler. I can only assume that any problems in those areas lie within the user's connection(s) and not the fault of the site. I'm by no means an IT tech, it's simply my .02 on this matter.
    However, as a caveat, it does seem that several people have had (or have now) the same problem. I guess everybody can't be wrong. ๐Ÿ™

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 8 years, 4 months ago:

@jpatt1000 the paragraph formatting - you need to leave an empty line between paragraphs to be formatted as such. If you don't everything is technically a single piece of text without interruptions.

• Profile Photo

@craigindaytona thanks for the info. Yes the source of concern here is that two users are experiencing the same issue at the same time. Luckily the majority (including our developers) seems to have no problems, but all together this makes the source of the issue that much harder to locate.

I am repeatedly asking @robertandy and @gkittinger for help testing this or that and thereby trying to narrow down the problem. At this point we have also pretty much done all we could on the server-side, sans the total rollback of a major upgrade, something that we are reluctant to do without knowing the exact cause.

In all, please bear with us.

• Profile Photo
    Terry Schuler said 8 years, 4 months ago:

I'm having the same problems with not being able to comment on articles. I can write them out, but once I hit to post it, it disappears.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for info, @shoobiz. I have PM'd you with request for further details.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Okay! Thanks for the info! I'll fix it so it at least looks like I paid attention in English class!

• Profile Photo

Good news - it would seem that we have located the source of the issue for @robertandy, @gkittinger and @shoobiz.

The problem occurred like this: for whatever reason, just after the last upgrade (and the previously described glitch in the system) our automated spam filter started to identify these users' IP addresses as potentially unfriendly and therefore kept pushing all the submitted comments to the spam folder. In human terms there was no reason whatsoever for this action, but spam filter is a machine and we DO need it :/. It is just the case where it's learning algorithm went astray.

The bad thing was that:

• No error messages were issued to the users... (note on this taken)
    • This has been done to the registered users who have previously been cleared for comments (should be fixed by now)

I was now able to recover all the messages that had โ€vanishedโ€ (should be online now),
    and Greg and Robert have reported being able to post again.

So - happy commenting everyone. Please let me know if there are any outstanding problems.

• Profile Photo
    Terry Schuler said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Thank you, all now works well. You guys did a great job.

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 8 years, 4 months ago:

No problem posting, but why are there several articles from December 2012, by Bill Weckel, making the rounds again?

• Profile Photo

Well, this certainly turned out wrong, should be corrected now :/. Please let me know if something like this happens again.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 4 months ago:

Aha...THAT explains it. I was wonderin' 'bout that. I answered his posts anyhow (I can't remember what was posted in 2012 - I can't remember what happened last WEEK). ๐Ÿ™

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 8 years, 3 months ago:

Read about these issues a few weeks ago, out of passing interest really, but have had the same issues myself recently.

I can reply to posts OK but have been trying for more than a week to upload a new Headlines article which included a lot of images - error messages constantly. Martin had been trying to resolve the problem but as yet no luck.

Just to eliminate source issues I even rephotographed the subject, resized everything in Picasa, and still had error messages upon upload. This happened last year as well when I posted a lot of images from the Telford show. I think after it was resolved we decided that the server had problems resizing original image uploads and the pathway locked up.

It's definitely something linked to my account pathway and the iM server, as I uploaded the images without any problem on our club's Facebook page a week ago.

I will say that none of these issues arose before the core upgrade, but it could be that the enhanced capability goes hand-in-hand with an increased tech sensitivity to certain functions that are just outside certain parameters.

So, I'm locked out.