Upside down picture

Started by Greg Kittinger · 9 · 9 years ago · picture uploads
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 9 years, 1 month ago:

I created a new post and uploaded some pics (P-38J). The last pic kept uploading upside down. I tried to fool the system by rotating it in my graphics program and then re-uploading - but then it was still upside down. Rotated it back, tried again, and upside down it loaded! While it is uploading the preview image is right-side-up, but as soon as the upload finishes it is upside down again...

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Hard to say the exact reason, but it sounds like some problem with the picture metadata (extra data in the image file containing image details such as date, pixel size, camera model, exposure, and orientation). Over the years there have been a variety of formats for these attributes and apparently our software has had problems of reading whatever your graphics program had saved in the file.

Would you please state the details of your graphics program?

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Now that's a new twist...never run into that dilemma...if you ever discover the cause, let us know.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Can you not save the image in another (e,g, simpler) format?

That said, for the past couple of months I still am unable to upload more than one image at a time into Headlines and Groups. It's the only site where this is an issue, and I've tried IE, Firefox and Google Chrome. Previous to that there were no issues.

Apparently no one else here has reported the same problem.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Rob...I use Firefox and have not run into that one, either.

• Profile Photo
    Site Administrator said 9 years, 1 month ago:

Rob, this indeed sounds like an odd phenomenon. By design, iModeler supports uploading multiple files, but practical realisation of this feature relies on browser support. Upload of multiple files with a "Select files..." button is said to be supported in current versions of Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and Opera.

A possible workaround is trying to drag-and-drop files from your computer directly into the image uploader on the post form.

Please let me know on occasion if this other method works or not.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 9 years ago:
  • Profile Photo
    Marek Halas said 9 years ago:

I actually get the same problem with inverted images when I try uploading from my iPad. Curiously it's not an issue on my Mac, so I always resort to using the 'big computer' if I'm going to post stuff on iModeler. I have to upload photos from the iPad to the Mac in the first place and then re-export them as a low res JPEG prior to uploading them here. It's a work around for anyone who might be experiencing the same issues.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years ago:

The upload is still an issue, for whatever reason. I also had issues with iPad images, and I also revert to my laptop for iModeler uploads. The laptop is old - a new hard drive installed last year, but the issue noted is more recent so I can't put it down to the hard drive.

Another query for future reference - the Headlines uploads are plain formatting, no bold/italics etc., but when a comment is posted within an article and one wishes to edit the comment afterwards, the full provision of formatting is available (at least I believe that to be so in Headlines responses). There are apparently restrictions in place in some areas and not others, presumably to do with the platform in use. I note the Headlines exclusion simply because if I prepared an article off-site in Word or similar, to copy and paste into the Headlines article, none of the Word formatting is retained, apart from the basics, e.g., book titles italicised in document form lose their italics when pasted into a Headlines.

Anyway, I'm not a 'code monkey' so my practical knowledge of such things is limited, but with any future upgrades it might be worth noting, to improve the site experience.