Flight From Ashiya

Started by Rick Wilkes · 10 · 5 years ago · Air Sea Rescue, amphibian, Grumman Albatross, IModeler at the Movies
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 5 years, 6 months ago:

So while watching the paint dry on my F9F Panther from Men of the Fighting Lady, I decided to throw another hook in the water with this 1964 film Flight from Ashiya.
    Not one of Hollywood’s best efforts, but does feature SA-16’s & H-19’s.
    I’ll be using Monogram’s 1/72(ish) SA-16 kit, and if time permits Revell’s H-19.

Started on the Albatross today, mostly cutting parts off and gluing some odd bits. I think I’m probably going to paint over the clear parts since there isn’t any real interior to speak of. Haven’t decided how to display it either, on the ramp, in the air or on the water.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Looks great, Rick! That is a cool aircraft, if not one of Monogram's best efforts. That's one of their oldest kits, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm not familiar with the movie. I'll have to search for it some.

• Profile Photo

Hi Jeff,
    It’s available on Amazon video.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Hello Rick.
    Have not seen movie either, but will look it up, just to get the overall picture.
    You mentioned 'paint over the clear parts'. Does this mean that the kit provides an option to see interior view besides window, or do you mean to paint over the windows?

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Rick, thanks for mining the modeling and movie archives to come up with this. For such an old kit the moulding looks ok. Interesting (if your mind works that way) fact; English rock band Keleidoscope released a song called ‘Flight from Ashiya’ based on this movie in 1967.

Good luck, Rick - appreciate your encouragement and support of the group build and look forward to seeing your work progress!

• Profile Photo

Hi Peter, there is no interior to speak of so I’m going to use Tamiya smoke on the insides of all the clear parts to blur things up some.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

That sounds an interesting approach. Looking forward to see how that looks.
    I have not seen the movie, only images on the Internet. I am assuming the Albatross interior was never shown, not like the H-19 with both the rescuers and the rescued. 😉
    Thanks for sharing your build.

@fuzzmann

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

NICE!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Literally (well, almost) using smoke and mirrors, Rick. What a great idea.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Great choice Rick, never heard of the movie but will check it out!