Here we go... Ooo "RA"!

Started by Chaz Sutherland · 27 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 5 years, 6 months ago:

As a long time lurker this build is a great opportunity to reintroduce myself to a much younger me, of old…? Doesn’t make sense but I hope you catch my drift. More importantly though, it’s also an opp to roll my sleeves up and join along the fun with some builders I’ve long respected.

So my build is the character Ra from the film Stargate, and despite the film not being a personal fave, the production design was still gorgeous. The character of Ra in particular. Given my time away from this hobby—and my forthcoming schedule—there won’t be an attempt for anything more complex (lights, diorama, etc..). Just the kit, so I hope that’s okay to do for this build.

I chose this kit from my stash since it appears to be simpler to complete. However, the universe has a way of thwarting expectations, so my head will remain on a swivel (sort to speak) and constantly on the lookout for whatever the old hag will be throwing at me (i.e. cementing mishaps, painting blunders, market crashes and whatever other anvils come falling out of the sky). Provided that my confidence and motivation aren’t crushed along the way, the tour de force will be capturing the varied metallic surfaces on Ra’s elaborate garb… which may employ some leafing techniques. Me hopes anyway.

Either by victory or failure I’m still stoked to be back at the bench.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Chaz, you have NO idea how pleased I am so see you posting here. It is fantastic to see you build and share with us after so many comments. I have had a bit of a rubbish day here today but this has definitely brightened it a little.

'Stoked' to see you at the bench, Chaz. I will be a very interested observer and definite serial poster on this build. Thanks for this.

@cybergolem

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Chaz, @cybergolem Great choice! Looks like a nice little challenge. I liked the movie actually, as a 'B' flick, not something I would have in my collection. The character play between James Spader and Kurt Russell was interesting.

• Profile Photo

Thanks guys. Despite its simplicity this should still be fun to attempt, so I'll aim not to disappoint.

As a serial fanboy, b-rate is still my thing so this and many, many, many far worse movies are in my collection. Come to think of it, it's fortunate that Kurt Russell elected to participate in so many of them (Big Trouble in lil China, The Thing, Soldier, Escape from NY... Overboard :D... ) otherwise, they'd truly be unwatchable. Actually not true, but still fun to give him props nonetheless.

• Profile Photo

Chaz, for many years Snake Plissken was a ‘guilty pleasure’ hero of mine. Loved Tremors, Eight Legged Freaks, Lake Placid and any other ‘creature feature’ you could name.

Great to see a little Sci-Fi on the Group Build, thought there’d be more.

• Profile Photo

Snake Plissken? I thought he was dead.

😀

Lots of good franchises being honored here, but I still wouldn't mind seeing more sci-fi either. I really wanted to go with the flow, but all my military stuff is a bit beyond my confidence level at the moment. Especially given this build’s deadline.

The Alien Xenomorph from the first film was choice number one, but the transparent rubber head-hood is requiring a little R&D. It's turned a yellow opaque color requiring a replacement to be sculpted and molded. Which will likely be acrylic... then that new part’s location at the top of the model would inevitably begin a dominoes effect just to stabilize the whole figure, soooo…
    My second choice was a Star Wars scene, but as usual with my geeky-über-epic-dreamweaving-brain, the diorama ballooned into a project that needs more time than I can currently offer, so it was shelved as well. Given its diminutive scale though (relative to other projects in mind) it may well be my next project.

Either way, I’m glad there are some fans of what I’m embarking on. It’s weird and a bit esoteric but maybe it’ll be well received once completed.

• Profile Photo

You do realise the deadline for the Group Build is in 2020? Sounds like a looooong time, but I guarantee one thing; it’ll be here before we believe it.

I think we’ll see a lot more fantasy/Sci-Fi as time goes on, takes us geeky types a bit to get warmed up. Talking about ‘warmed up’ - did you see Aleksander’s Game of Thrones proposal?

I hope this project really stirs your ‘geeky-Uber-epic-dreamweaving-brain’ to get a couple of builds in for the GB, sounds like we have hit a nerve with your modeling mojo.

I plan at leat two Sci-Fi builds over the next year before the deadline. I’d be delighted with some company!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I didn’t realize they made a model of Ra!

I love the original movie AND both TV shows that spun off the film.

• Profile Photo

@david leigh-smith :: LOL, I didn't until reading another thread just a few minutes ago. Makes my choice and the reasoning surrounding it seem like pure cowardice, eh?

Anyway, I'll stick with my choice at the moment and see how it goes. If it goes well then expanding on it will be a serious consideration. That or jump onto something more challenging like the Star Wars idea that was unwittingly shelved.

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Chaz (@cybergolem)

Excellent choice!
    As Jeff I didn't know there was a model of Ra (and on 1/5 scale, which should result in a pretty large figure!) .
    Actually, even if not one of my favorite films, I still liked the film (and watched an occasional episode of the TV series) .

I like the Alien films series better I'd say (especially the super brave and more courageous than most men, Sigourney Weaver 😉 ) .

As for Kurt Russel, I like that guy a lot!
    Have watched most (if not all) of the films with him that you mention above (plus a few others with him)! And enjoyed them all!

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Dan DeSilva said 5 years, 6 months ago:

I also love Stargate the movie, Stargate the series, Atlantis, and sad that SciFi did not stick with the third series SGU . I really thought it was going to be pretty awesome. They made another figure kit of the Horus guard I think.

• Profile Photo

Now some of your posts make make sense - sorry I wasn’t clear with the Christmas 2019 deadline!

Just glad you are at the bench and excited about building.

@cybergolem

• Profile Photo

@dolfdylan :: Given the time, the xenomorph may also get some attention.

@danfrombermuda :: I have the MRC Anubis in 1/9th. I'd gladly sell it and put the proceeds toward Horus or Anubis from Horizon Original. These were easily the best kits they ever produced, but so limited that finding one for sell has been impossible (at least from my keyboard). It would make an awesome trio-display and given the deadline, would beg for a scratch built display stand that reflects the production design of the film.

@dirtylittlefokker :: Your description was fine, it was definitely me. I'm doped up on flu meds, sleep deprived from the flu and still jet lagging from a trip to Italy last week. Despite all this, excitement is an understatement. 😀

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Chaz (@cybergolem)

"Given the time, the xenomorph may also get some attention."

That would be great!

"Horizon Original. These were easily the best kits they ever produced"

Do they still exist?

I did some research but can't find a site for them!

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo

@dolfdylan :: Horizons is long defunct >> http://horizonoriginal.com << The site appears long abandoned though.

Btw, the Horus figure was definitely part of their offerings but I'm not sure about Anubis figure. In all honesty, I've never seen the kit (built or otherwise). Either way, I'm sure they'd draw a premium price if one was ever unearthed. Even back in the day these kits were über-expensive.

EDIT :: Anubis was part of their offerings. I just found all three kits on Ebay as a package deal. I'd post the link, but I'm getting all sorts of weirdness with this reply when the link is attached (sorry).