Here we go... Ooo "RA"!

Started by Chaz Sutherland · 27 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks for the posts, Chaz. Gosh, those kits are expensive, impressive but expensive.

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Chaz (@cybergolem)

Guess you probably mean this link to eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STARGATE-HORIZON-RA-HORUS-ANUBIS-resin-model-kits-BONUS-ITEMS-FREE-SHIPPING/113270880225?hash=item1a5f7877e1:g:UfoAAOSwCx5bqbai

That's the one with the 3 figures that I found.

And gee, they are expensive indeed!...

Not sure why you were having problems posting the link, it worked first time with me! Just checked, it works 😉

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 5 years, 6 months ago:

David :: I know, right? I'm torn about getting the other two to complete the set. I'm not crazy about the 1/5 scale to begin with; for several reasons but mainly because I confine myself (mostly) to scales that are powers of two (mostly) . This helps to resist all the temptations in the world that would otherwise seduce a wondering wallet... Which is wholly tied to "The One" that bears the ring that rules me all. My stash is already bursting at the seams (pun intended) and my marriage is still happily intact. But duuude, it's hard to resist such a beauty that's imploring with such sincerity, "You complete me". Oh, and three vs. one? This just works on so many levels. Hmm... maybe my wife won't find out? 🙂

dolf ::: Yup, that was the one. I don't know what was happening either. The link would show but at the cost of not seeing anything else in the reply. Anyway, I'm glad you found it. I'd bid on it, but with my luck I'd actually win... then I'd have an extra Ra... and a glaring wife. Too much for my brain cell (yes, singular) to cope with. 😀

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Chaz, today I bought a F86 Sabre and a MiG 15. My thinking was, wouldn’t it be great to have them both side by side in a ‘museum dio’. Thing is I only meant to buy a needle and a chuck for the airbrush. My poor wallet...

But I can’t wait!

@cybergolem

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Chaz (@cybergolem)

"I’d bid on it, but with my luck I’d actually win… then I’d have an extra Ra… and a glaring wife."

Lol... I know 100% what you mean, believe me...
    In my case right now no more wife to get mad on me, but I remember those days... lol...
    On the other hand I have to deal with other serious financial issues, but that's my fate I guess...

I'm no longer on eBay, but in the old days I'd put the alarm clock on for waking up just in time for the end of certain pieces I really wanted (in those days it was my Medals collection) and then it was the fight for getting that particular piece... often inflating the price in the process, obviously... sometimes winning, some others losing at the very last milisecond/bid... but hey, we men all suffer from some "brain damage", or some "DNA anomaly", and we all seem to come here with that problem... so I guess we have to live with it... 🙂

Maybe you could try to sell that Ra you have, and that would somehow reduce the cost of those 3 figures "calling you to complete the set"...
    The guy is asking $180 USD if not mistaken, as the starting price for bidding.
    If you could get all 3 for let's say $200, and if you were able to sell your Ra alone for $50... The set of 3 would cost you $150...

IDK, maybe you better not follow my suggestion, as I'm really bad with numbers, especially those concerning money... lol...

Or just do the Ra you have, it's already a beautiful 1/5 figure all by itself!

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo

Yep, do the Ra you have. A bird in the hand...

@cybergolem

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 5 years, 6 months ago:

@dolfdylan :: Dolf, your suggestion makes sense and would probably work, but I'm trying to alleviate pressure points in my schedule, and eBay (buying and/or selling) would add another variable to an otherwise chaotic itinerary... although, I've been known to sleepwalk, among other things... heh

@dirtylittlefokker :: Dave, I can't see what you do with your new planes—ahem—I mean that new chuck & needle. Oh, about the bird in the hand... precious! LOL

• Profile Photo

To be honest, Chaz, I just about thought that was my best joke of the year.

@cybergolem

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Chaz (@cybergolem)

I know my suggestion makes sense... (at least in a man's mind... lol... probably not in a woman/wife's mind!... 🙂 ) So take it easy man...
    One advice (from an old man) : don't ask your wife for advice on this... you already know where that would lead... lol...
    If you do it, keep it quiet and as discrete as possible...

As for the two last posts from David... looks like he was playing that Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde game... lol...

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Chaz Sutherland said 4 years, 6 months ago:

Okay, after a very long hiatus I've unearthed the Ra kit—and with due haste—exhuming this thread/project. First off my apologies for the what appears would be another abandoned project, but I was in school for the last year and grossly underestimated the amount of mental & time resources it would take to finish the course.

Anyway, enough excuses... I've washed the parts and started assembly.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Given this is my first kit in some decades, and it being resin at that, I'm going to start with the head.

I drilled some holes into the parts of the head mask, making sure there are undercuts to give the Magic Sculpt something to secure itself to. The idea being it would be the major structural support.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

After some filing and dry-fitting, I mixed up some Magic Sculpt and tucked it into the holes and pressed the pieces together. A little CA flashed with Zip Kicker held it together to fully cure. The gaps still need addressing but that will come after the major assembly is completed.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.