“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Welcome, Matt. Too late to worry about the ‘going round the bend’ thing; last train for that station left about 1989.

Back at the bench...

Oops...

Working on the steerline, coaxing, and transom/washboard.

More injuries.

• Profile Photo

After finishing some of the detail on the superstructure, I sanded down the rougher edges and took her out to get some daytime shots. Starting to really look like the movie boat, I think.

Pleased with the dimensions. As I was making this on a very idiosyncratic scale, the over look depends on my maths skills. Put it this way, I wouldn’t fly in an aircraft where I was left to do that.

All we need is “Hooper playin with himself” in this shot.

I’m really pleased with the transom, which, strange as it seems to say, plays a large part in the film.

“See you brought your rubbers, chief!”

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Last piece of work for the weekend; making handrails for the flying deck.

This took me an hour just getting the shape right, very fiddly but very therapeutic.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 11 months ago:

David, my wife says is I'm not bleeding, I'm not working. I seem to cut myself working on a model, the car, projects around the house, etc.

Looking at the real transom, the font for the ORCA letters is unique, might need to borrow some letters from your daughter.

• Profile Photo

Michael, I’m all over that particular problem of font.

I get the injury thing. Other than providing the ‘ransomgate’ lettering for this build, whenever she hears a curse from the bench the response is, “you want a band aid, Dad?”

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 11 months ago:

I am really getting a good laugh with these background "Ransom" notes... 🙂

The Indianapolis is calling out to you David..., David..., David... open the box... look at the plastic... do it. 🙂

If you're like me, progress when working on restoration of classic muscle cars is measured in bandages applied and pressure dressings !

Looking good my friend. You're absolutely correct about the transom and flying bridge photos. They look spot on.

This "Orca" is a good sized model... just how long is the overall length ? You may have mentioned it before, I just don't remember seeing that.

Looking forward to the next installment, and I hope you enjoyed your weekend.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 years, 11 months ago:

This is really nice work David - good therapy for the "shrink".

And yes, if you're not bleedin', you're not workin'.

• Profile Photo

Louis, the Orca is exactly 600mm, that’s 24 inches long your side of the pond. Or, put another way, 3 inches longer than a 1/350 Indianapolis...

This evening, I finished the flying deck hand rails...boy, these are intricate to carve out. But, inspired by Michael @mreith I want to scratchbuild as much of this as possible.

While I’m here, Michael, if you pop by, any tips on the rigging hardware? Just a case of raiding the accessories boxes?

That’s it for this evening.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Greetings, David. I was watching Aussie Lego Masters last night and I thought of you! Enjoying this thread immensely!

• Profile Photo

A little more sophisticated than the effort I made with my son 5 years ago...

Thanks @yellow10

• Profile Photo

For the turnbuckles, I'd go with the closed tube as opposed to the open threaded eye. To do a TU01, cut half of the top and bottom flanges of an H beam flush to the web to create a deep channel to make the fork and glue to the ends of tapered tubing. To do a TU03, I've used lead wire with a .025" diameter, looped and smashed in a vice to flatten to make eyes or used thin wire looped and glued into the tapered tubing. Or plastic tubing cut thin to make the eyes. If you can't find nuts small enough, sand some plastic discs.

• Profile Photo

Fantastic ideas, Michael. I’ll experiment at the weekend and post results. Feeling a lot more confident with your input. Thanks!

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Just a bit of a suggestion from someone with eyes further from the project. Is your superstructure around the wheel on top of the cabin perpendicular to the cabin roof as it looks in the photos? In the profile shot of the real boat there's a bit of rearward rake to it causing the upper rails to slope rearwards (with all the planking at 90 degrees to that instead of the roof). Just letting you know what I'm seeing in case you didn't before it goes to paint. (Speaking of paint, is the lower hull black or a really dark green? It looks like the color changes in different shots.) Looking fantastic. Are we going to get a "fresh off the lot" look before it becomes Quint's Orca with all its weathering? "HOOPER DRIVES THE BOAT CHIEF!"

• Profile Photo

David @dirtylittlefokker, your profession is psychologist, but it looks like you dabble as a graphic artist, if you did the movie poster artwork. Did you create the font for the ORCA? I ask because I need font for Gilmore Lion Head Oil. I could use pointers on making the font if you know.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 11 months ago:

My head is really beginning to resonate with a 2-tone melody... looking fantastic!

(ok - now Doc, how do I get that melody out of my head, so I can get back to work...)