“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Love your meandering approach to taking on new details! That happened to me on this last Barracuda build (details to come soon - almost finished...). I'd think I was all done with a particular phase of the build, then notice a small detail on a research photo, and...back to the bench to find a way to add it! I ended up buying/using some materials I'd never used before on a model to get what I was after. It really is satisfying - even when starting with a "boxed kit," to see something more detailed take life as it progresses.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 11 months ago:

So, after some experimentation (no, the kids and cats are still breathing) I’ve found a nice system for making pullies and blocks. At the moment they actually work, but I think I might just tie the lines up rather than making a fully working model. Jezebel...if I follow that line of inquiry, I’ll be planning a fully operational ‘Bruce’ the mechanical shark (mmm...now that you think of it...)

Thanks for the comment, Greg; you are 100% right, I find that I’ll go to bed after working on a detail and look the next morning and think...no, I can do better.

@gkittinger

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Arrrgh...I believe there might be a bit of a Sailor in you David!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 10 months ago:

There’s a certain likeness.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 10 months ago:

I think I already knew that. BTW, back in my youth, I use to run fore deck on a 35' S2 and occasionally on a 40' cruiser. Now I'm a little old to be bouncing around a deck. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Well, today, I had a really lovely time at the Elstree model show, met the very marvellous David Mills @davem

Back at the bench, I put some of the styrene sheets bought at the model show to good effect.

Making pullies, blocks, etc.

Getting some traction on this beast, first scratch build project, BIG learning curve.

@jamesb - “a little old to be bouncing around a deck”...well, take a leaf from my book. At the risk of sounding a bit...eccentric, I have an alter-ego. His name is ‘Davis’ and he often buys me gifts (birthdays, Christmas, random acts of kindness, etc). Buys me all the sort of things only a person that knows you like no other would know about, that come with little cards that say things like, “David, you’ve worked hard, and you deserve this! You rock.” Makes the family laugh like drains when the post arrives sometimes - “oh, look, a 350 scale Indianapolis with a little card, who could have sent this...?”

Anyway, he (Davis) saw this the other day and I’m just waiting for it to arrive...

You should try it - cheers you up no end.

Ok, back to reality.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Great to meet you today David@dirtylittlefokker - love that T-Shirt - I look forward to catching up with you again.
    Nice work on that winch/mast fittings!

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 4 years, 10 months ago:

David @dirtylittlefokker, one thing to remember, I still get in the back of a 70+ year old warbird occasionally. Attitude! A Man Has Got To Know His Limitations! 🙂

I'd share some of my T-shirt collection, but it's not really PC on here. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Nice shirt by the way!

Cheers from Texas!

• Profile Photo

I hear ya, James. Kudos to you - most of us would give an arm and a leg to get into that Helldiver for a few minutes, let alone fly the old lady! That’s not you in there is it?...

Best of wishes from a very cold, wet, and grey London.

@jamesb

• Profile Photo

Thanks, David. I had a look around before I left but couldn’t see you. I’ll definitely have a look at the schedule and try to unpick some time to come along to the club, you guys seem to have a great time.

@davem

• Profile Photo

Thanks, David. I had a look around before I left but couldn’t see you. I’ll definitely have a look at the schedule and try to unpick some time to come along to the club, you guys seem to have a great time.

@davem

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 10 months ago:

I'll have to get myself a Davis - it is getting embarassing to buy all the stuff myself.. - Anyway thanx for posting this bulid! Smooth sailing David.

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 4 years, 10 months ago:

No worries David - We would be glad to see you at Harrow - Cheers!

• Profile Photo

Erik, everyone needs a ‘Davis’. He also does all the things (having difficult conversations, attending social events, presentations, etc) that I really don’t want to do. Give it a try; it’s also nice to get a few more presents under the Christmas tree.

@airbum

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 4 years, 10 months ago:

You know David, you kinda look like a younger non-scruffy Sean Bean here!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.