“Here’s to Swimmin’ with Bow-Legged Women”

Started by david leigh-smith · 550 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 9 months ago:

I actually did test a piece of wood, but my suspicions are that the varnish didn’t take to glue spots, and whereas the stain looked good on a small clean piece of wood, it looked hopelessly dark for ‘scale’ on the real thing.

As you say, they'll be days like this...and hey, my second attempt at the cabin will have the benefit of lessons learned.

Loved that video, Stephen.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Wow David... This is a tragic setback. How fortunate you didn't toss the "orca" against the wall. I'll bet you were tempted.

Step back and count to 3... Not one, nor two, but three !

"First shalt though take out the Holy pin. Then, shalt though count to three... No more. No less. Three shall be the number though shalt count, and the number of counting shall be three... 🙂

But you can prevail. I would recommend staining or even painting the wood you plan on using prior to gluing it in place the next time. Just a thought.

I have never seen anything like this before. I have encountered small areas of wood that would not take a stain coating properly after using cyano glue on them first. But never at this level.

Hang in there buddy... you can do it.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 9 months ago:

David, From page 4 of my Spielberg Movie with a Shark Mouth, "For the weathered wood effect, I thinned Grumbacher Raw Umber Oil Color with 90% Isopropyl Alcohol. The Iso evaporates quickly and won't warp the wood. It doesn't stink as much as Mineral Spirits either." Repeated coats make it darker. I find better control than varnish. I see the glue prevented the varnish from soaking in, but maybe try this technique on your next go round.

If you used white PVA glue and it dries on the wood surface, you can try wetting it to dissolve the glue and scrubbing it with a scotch brite pad or sandpaper to expose the wood grain. Too late this time, but for future reference.

And remember, "it could be worse, it could be raining".

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 4 years, 9 months ago:

David,

‘It could be worse, it could be raining,” one of my favorite quotes.

So sorry to see this major setback. But, look at the bright side — you get the “fun” of building that part again. One thought to help you through the struggle: have you ever thought of acrylics vs. oils? They are very forgiving. If you look at my sons @carson prop on his WW I by-plane, that’s all acrylics and turned out great. You can primer everything and simulate the wood with. Just an idea.

Best, Matt

• Profile Photo

@lgardner - boy you hit the mark with Python’s holy grenade. That said, no harm, no foul. Puts me ‘fourth down and inches’ with my schedule, though.

• Profile Photo

Michael, the thing that looks like an inverse map of Africa was mainly as a result of me sanding the varnish off, after the damage was done. The trail piece looked good (same bass wood) and I’m surprised it came out in such a mess. I used a dilute PVA coat also to avoid this very thing (well, I didn’t actually wear a PVA coat, I layered it on the deck...).

I’ll play around with your idea. Will that burnt umber work with whisky?

@mrieth

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Modelling is always like this! It’s great because we can’t control everything! Show me the modeller who has built a single thing that didn’t throw them a curve-balI at some point and, well you know the rest. I was sad to see your setback, but am beyond confident you’ll deal with it and this will turn out even better for the experience. Kudos again for taking on something outside your comfort zone. When I see the efforts of the small group of people on iM that build from scratch, even in part, I think it is the pinnacle. Just keep swimming (I think - given your subject).

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Paul. In truth, there’s a curse buried at the heart of scratch builds (as in ‘regular’ modeling, just magnifies in a ground-up project) and that is, ‘icandobetter’. You can always pay a little more attention, be a little more careful, take a little more time, over a part. One CAN always do better, but you have to be able to call ‘enough’ and hope that at the end of the project the whole is better than the sum of the parts. Literally. The fun has to outweigh the effort.

There’s also something cathartic about sharing the mistakes here, you guys are way cheaper than therapy.

@yellow10

• Profile Photo
    Matt Minnichsoffer said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Another thought for abase sealer, if you’re willing to paint the wood texture, would be artist gesso. I used it to seal basswood decoys for years and it works great.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 4 years, 9 months ago:

@dirtylittlefokker david, everything works with whiskey!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 9 months ago:

I don't remember the deck color of Orca - suspect most of the rest of the interior was painted but that the deck wore down to wood showing through worn paint. I did try a new "wood grain" technique on a build recently with oils, and did a demo of it at our last club meeting. One advantage is that you base coat with a good paint (I used Tamiya), so whatever you used to glue the wood doesn't matter. Take it or leave it, but I've created a PDF of the process I found on the web, uploaded to dropbox, and here's a link if you want to have a look: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gtguusgfogbm2w4/Woodgrain%20Painting%20Technique.pdf?dl=0

I am glad the neocortex won out over the limbic system in the little tug-o-war that ensued!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 4 years, 9 months ago:

"you guys are way cheaper than therapy." Available 24/7.Void where prohibited and no group hugs but, some members will raise a pint or glass to your health and of course will give free advice. What more can a guy possibly need? Some of us are now afraid to go into the water and have concerns about ”if you don’t behave the crazy guy who builds the boat will get you…" guess will have to build a model.

• Profile Photo

That's a great tutorial, Greg. I am definitely going to experiment with that; clear, straightforward and effective.

"I am glad the neocortex won out over the limbic system in the little tug-o-war that ensued!" - that is EXACTLY the little psychodrama that played out.

Thanks for such a thoughtful and helpful post, Greg.

@gkittinger

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 9 months ago:

David, I don't have any technical advise, but I do know you'll persevere, May be a shot a Scotch will help.

• Profile Photo

Ah, a gift from Davis - what could this well timed bounty be...

"He can't stay down with three barrels...not with three barrels he can't".