Peter O’Toole on ”Lawrence of Arabia” and Rudger Hauer on ”Blade Runner”

Started by Adolfo Coelho · 19 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 6 months ago:

These are beautifully done, Dolf. Thanks for the links. If I could up-skill enough I'd certainly be tempted. Looking at the tutorials on You Tube it seems the bust painters are a very different tribe of modelers with a very artistic skill set. Kudos and respect for taking this challenge on; I am entirely sure you will succeed in making something special here.

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Dolf, I do not know your methods of painting a figurine or bust. So, I may be speaking out of term. If so, please forgive me.

Since I have not seen many reference images on this thread, I became a little bit concerned by your approach to this exercise. As lovely as the created/painted busts are I would not have them as a reference while painting the bust. Actually, I would put them out of sight. I would only use images of the actual movie character wherever possible. Have A4 colour prints of the character hanging up around my painting area. In this way, I may avoid reproducing subtle errors by the other artists.

• Profile Photo
    Adolfo Coelho said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Peter,

Thanks for checking and commenting.
    You raise an interesting point.

Let me try to clarify.
    Just like with every other model/kit, from aircrafts to ships, whatever, there are thousands of them produced (notice that with busts, especially those in resin, usually it's limited editions, from 100 to 500 let's say, figures are usually produced in a larger number, but as far as I know far away from the numbers Spits and Messerschmitts etc, are usually produced) .
    But each modeler has its own style, its own painting methods, its own limitations, etc, hence even when we see here 20 Bf-109 E, or F, or G, all from the same manufacturer, each one of them is different from the next one, because each one was assembled & painted (and we can add the decals on this case with aircraft) by a different modeler, with his own paiting methods, etc.

The same applies to figures and busts.

I've seen quite a few, that when unassembled and unpainted are exactly the same, as produced by the same manufacturer, but once finished... each one of them will be often times totally different from every other previously seen!
    Even more different from each other with figures and busts, because the styles, painting methods, etc, can be very different from one "artist" (as David point out above, busts people are like a "tribe" on their own, as in fact the work they do is almost essentially painting, the assembling is not complicated at all, when there's some assembling to do, no manual needed, no steps to follow, not really a whole lot of tiny little parts...) to the other.
    One can use enamels, the other can use acrylics, the other can use oils... and/or a combination of all these!

What you usually see on the manufacturers, or retailers websites, are usually pics of the box arts.
    Hence usually made by professionals, but also often 3D renditions of the real figure or bust after painted.

Most of the time the final result will look quite different from the box art shown on those sites 😉

I have the film, so before I start this bust will re-watch "Lawrence of Arabia" for the... Can't remember how many times I've watched it before... lol...
    And of course there are pics online that I can use as well.

Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Dolf

• Profile Photo
    Peter Hausamann said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks for eliminating any concern.